Author Topic: Batham in Africa  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Batham in Africa
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 11:09 GMT (UK) »
 From my topic 'Last resort ' posted recently on UK Middlesex board I got the information that the family I am seeking went to South Africa. Christopher William Batham b. 1838, wife Elizabeth and sons William Arthur and Frederick left England after 1871. I am unable to access any records on ancestry.com. Can anyone help me fill in the details of any events is S.A.   Regards Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Batham in Africa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
You wont find any South African records in Ancestry.com

I can't see any records that match this family in the NAAIRS databases

Ancestry24 has a couple of records for an Elizabeth Batham dying in Observatory in 1883  and a Christopher William in 1882 buried in St Peter's Observatory.

You may need to look for a burial register from that period in the LDS films - as I cannot see a death notice in the Cape Archives

Couldn't see any information on eggsa - however it might be worth doing an occasional search as they are uploading tombstone photos regularly
Regards
Gillian

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gillian. Every little bit helps. regards Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi found this on National State Archives South Africa website, look under RSA archive.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

A daughter perhaps?????)

Hope this may help?

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks rooinek . That's great. Something for me to check on, Roy

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »
No problem Roy, you could ask Ancestry24 in South Africa to draw the estate papers for Frederick.These may supply some info on his parents and brother.

Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.