Author Topic: Hamilton Old Parish churchyard  (Read 45721 times)

Offline Going spare1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton Old Parish churchyard
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

David Hamilton & Mary Craig of The Brandon Street Hotel were my great grandparents. Their marriage was Proclaimed on 11th August (which I take to mean the banns were called)in the parish of Hamilton. As they weren't called again I assume they were married the same day.
I had Mary's father's name, James,  but did not know he was the owner of the Crown Bar in Muir st, can I ask where you got the information?
I have James Craig married to Elizabeth Gray, this information is on Mary Hamilton m/S Craig's death certificate.

Going Spare1

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Going Spare 1,

Welcome to Rootschat. If you go to page 11 of this post you will see the proof. It was the Brandon Hotel, not the Crown.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Going spare1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lodger

David Hamilton & Mary Craig were the Brandon St Hotel.
According to Anne, Mary Craigs father James Craig was the Crown.
I haven't heard back from her where her information came from.
cheers

Offline RobStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monamg for the info and yes I would really like a copy of the baptisms for the Hutton kids. Thank you, much appreciated. Seen a tree on Ancestry with one of these kids in it I think. I'm sure one of them became a lawyer like his father.

I know what the Sasines can show but never used them before directly. Perhaps I should for the RevJS. I come down his and Priscilla Edgar's line: so we are connected. He features in some local Glasgow folklore but the lack of his church records was frustrating.

The Edgars were Edinburgh lawyers/doctors from the Borders and I've seen a reference to Thomas Hutton snr operating for Dundas in Edinburgh. Thomas Hutton snr also had two daughters: only know that the 2nd was called Marion who married a local shoemaker and Baillie, Quentin Hamilton. There is a reference on the net to some legal action involving a tenant in 1761. Thought the Hutton family may have tied back to the Eastern borders like the Edgars.

The first AEdgar made money as a lawyer/factor in Jamaica and bought Auchingreymont. His son then bought other plantations but after falls in sugar prices and the end of slavery the business slowed. Sold Auchingreymont by 1855 at the end of the male line and destroyed all the family letters/ correspondence. Edinburgh lawyers indeed!!

I clearly come out on the much poorer churchmouse side of that family:)

Offline Going spare1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lodger

Looked at P.11 only thing I could see  was the extract from the booklet on Motherwell & it says" when David Hamilton of the Brandon St. Hotel was married"
Also  other documents, census, children' birth notices, the death notices for David Hamilton & Mary Craig  that I have, all say Brandon st.
Going spare1

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:26 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't say "Brandon St Hotel", it says Brandon Hotel and it was in Muir Street. It would have been a public house with a function room upstairs. It may have had about 2 bedrooms to let but it would have made its money from bar trade and weddings etc.
The family may also have lived on the premises. What we have to remember is, the old tenement building that stands on that spot now, would not have been there in 1875 when the Brandon hotel is first mentioned in the town directory (almanac). So, it seems to have carried on trading after the present tenement building was erected, probably around the turn of the century and most likely changed character in the process. It may have been enlarged or, just as easily, have been reduced in size. Perhaps the "rooms" were taken out, who knows.
My guess is, sometime in the early 20th century the bar area was incorporated into the Crown Bar next door (that was a big pub according to Sancti - I was too young to remember it!) and the upstairs function room taken over by Fraser's bakery. There was a bakery at No.11 Muir St, which may well be the one.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
RobStewart - very interesting!  Excellent to get a new angle on this family too.
I've just been rereading my research documents regarding this family, there was more there than I thought  ::).  I don't want to hijack Lodger's thread, so I will PM you.
:)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Going spare1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 01:13 GMT (UK) »
hi Lodger

My Bad! I went back & looked & it does say Brandon Hotel, I imagine I just assumed Brandon Hotel would be in Brandon St.
So do you know if James Craig, Mary Craig's father was owner of the Cross Hotel in Muir St.?

Going spare1

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Going Spare 1,
Found an article in the Motherwell Times dated 30 Jul 1954..
Headed: BEGINNING OF GAS INDUSTRY IN MOTHERWELL
              Survey of Service Over Past Hundred Years.
It starts about a meeting held ovr 150 yrs ago, on 7 Oct 1849 listing all 10  members of the community who were in attendance and voted unanimously to introduce coal gas to Motherwell.

The article then goes on to list sketches  on all 10 men.
" Mr Craig held office as Chairman from 1856 until 1864"
Later in the same paragraph:
Mr Craig was owner of The Crown Bar in Muir Street and his daughter became Mrs David Hamilton of the Brandon Hotel"

If you wish to PM me with an email address, I will forward the article to you.

Also the 1898 marriage announcement of William Hamilton, yougest son of the late David Hamilton, Brandon Hotel to Margaret Thomson.

Also: 23 Jul 1892
FOR SALE.
Lists various properties owned by the trustees of late James Craig, including the Licensed premises at Muir Street

17 Dec 1892.
Shanks V Hamilton
Andrew Craig Hamilton sued by his father in law.
( I presume you know about this irregular marriage?)

EDIT:
On refelction, there must be missing newspaper articles about this case.

1886: Joanna Shanks raised a Breach Of Promise action agaist Andrew Craig Hamilton.
( News articles are missing for time period)

May 1887
Andrew raises action about the amount of aliment awarded to Joanna Shanks in 1886 for herself and her illegitimate child
Andrew states that he was unaware of these actions and did not appear in court at that time because he was living in Canada.
He states he did not promise to marry her and that he was not the father of her child.
This case goes back to Court on 4 Jun 1887

Therefore, it's odd that Joanna's father claimed that she and Andrew C Hamilton entered into an irregular marriage on 7 Jun 1887 ??

The child born to Joanna may be called Annie born 1878.
Joanna is living with her sister Helen Watson at 1881 and is the same address  that Andrew provided for her.
The child is entered as Annie F Gregor age 3. Niece to head of household but, she is described as "Minister's Daughter"
Andrew Craig Hamilton was a Bachelor Of Divinity at the time of her birth

Her father raised his case  against Andrew in Dec 1892, claiming that he had to maintain his own daughter for the last 7 years as Andrew had failed to pay any aliment.
Conveniently, Joanna married a widower in Aug 1893