Author Topic: Samuel Mayor agent for Honourable Corporation of Trinity House  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Mayor agent for Honourable Corporation of Trinity House
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 January 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Too true,,
Thanks

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am researching George Reynolds Durrant and think he links in with your Durrant family.
I think James Durrant and Barbara nee Reynolds children were:
James Durrant (b. 8 June 1810)
Mary Elizabeth Durrant (b. 10 Oct 1811 in Harwich, Essex - 22 Feb 1867 in Grimsby, Lincolnshire) who married your Samuel Mayor.
Thomas Durrant   (b. 6 Nov 1813)
Sarah Durrant (b. 2 March 1815 in Harwich, Essex)
Barbara Durrant (b. 14 Jan 1817)
Eliza Durrant (b. 6 Oct 1818)
Thomas Durrant (b. 10 Feb 1821)
Hannah Durrant (b. 27 Nov 1822)

James Durrant married Ann ? (b. abt 1816 in Battisford, Suffolk). White's Directory of Essex  1848 - has    Butchers: James Durrant and Son and Joseph Durrant (not sure who he is?). In 1851   he is at Market Street, Harwich as a Town Councillor and Butcher employing 2 men and 1 boy. Think he died in 1857.
His children were
Charles Durrant (b. abt 1813 in Harwich, Essex)
Ann Eliza Durrant (b. abt 1836 in Harwich, Essex)
Robert Durrant (b. 1839 in St Nicholas Harwich, Essex) Married to Bertha Cuff
John Blogg Durrant (b. abt 1846 in Harwich, Essex - d. 28 Jan 1923 in Tendring, Essex) Married to Agnes Anne French.
George Reynolds Durrant (b. 1849 in Harwich, Essex - d. 15 Jan 1906 in Hertfordshire).
He married Fanny Elizabeth Wigginton (b. 1851 in St Andrew, Hertfordshire – d. 22 Oct 1899 in Hertfordshire) and then Emily Adelaide Beddall (b. abt 1861 in Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire - d. 5 Sep 1926 in Hertford, Hertfordshire). He was a Chemist & Aerated Water Manufacturer, Later he was a Photographer / Photographic dealer in Hertford. Following his death, his son George Stuart Durrant continued in the photography business in Hertford.
George had 3 other sons - Herbert Spencer Durrant; Archibald Durrant and James Cecil Durrant.
I also have a Charles Durrant (b. 1842 in Harwich, Essex - d. 1904) married to Ellen Elizabeth Maggs (b. 1841 in Southwold, Suffolk – d. 1912) - not sure if he is related at all? Also their is mention of George Durrant born in Chelmsford, Essex in 1844, the son of James Durrant and Ann nee Gutheridge. Again don't know if they are related.

Would appreciate it if anyone can confirm my connections for Durrant family. I am not related, but am researching early photographers. Also any info on George and why an Injunction was served on him regarding the 'Cherry Blossom' Trade Mark?

Hope this helps Durrant/Mayor connections.
Regards
Bobfilm

Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
That's fascinating because in 1869 at Southwold Parish church John Readman, of Grimsby married Sarah Mayor-she was the daughter of Samuel Mayor. Some one took some photographs before the wedding showing a horse in a stable in Southwold and some of the guests. A Thomas Durrant was one of the witnesses. I have a photograph of a man in a uniform, it looks like an engine drivers uniform, and the only driver in that family was John's father, Thomas who died in 1879. However not knowing the facial features of both Thomas Readman or Thomas Durrant I am unable to say who the man is but the fact that you say that photography was in the Durrant family makes me wonder if one of them took the wedding photographs.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 January 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
In several newspapers in January 1887, Messrs John Gosnell & Co, of 93, Upper Thames Street, London, E.C placed this advertisement

“Cherry Blossom Competition: No Entrance fee-Prizes of £20, £10 and £5, and 10s for for the most Witty and Telling lines (about 20) Prose or verse, descriptive of “Cherry Blossom” Perfume, Powder and Soap. To be forwarded before 21st January- Messrs John Gosnell & Co, of 93, Upper Thames Street, London, E.C. Results a week later”

In February, the company announced that they had received over 2000 pieces to compete for the prizes , and had awarded first prize to  a mystery woman called Mrs. W. W. R. of., 449, Strand, London, who turned out to be Mrs W W Russell, who at the time of the result of the competition was living in Florence, in the Hotel de la Paix. Second prize of £10 went to Miss Heron, 8 Moreton Gardens, Kensington, & third prize to  W. Young, Esq., 35, Landor-road SW. Half a guinea each was also been paid for twenty or more meritorious compositions, and all the prize lines were published in book form at 1s., and forwarded free gratis to each of the competitors.

Then in the 5th August edition of the  Daily Graphic appeared a picture of Woman’s face and wearing a head dress similar to that of a nun, with slogan “CHERRY BLOSSOM” , PERFUME TOILET POWDER, AND SOAP  NUNNE NICER”

And the following announcement: IN the High Court of Justice: Gosnell v Durrant: On January 28th, 1887, Mr. Justice Chitty granted a Perpetual Injunction with costs, restraining Mr. George Reynolds Durrant, from Infringing Messrs John Gosnell and Co’s Registered Trade Mark “Cherry Blossom”

But try as I might I can’t find that injunction.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 January 13 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Harman Durrant

Was born around 1801, in Harwich, Essex, and was married to a  Sarah Burton, of Harwich-can’t find marriage as yet, but they had a son called Joseph Burton Durrant, born 12th January 1830, baptised 15th June 1830 at Bathside Chapel, so connected to the other Durrant family maybe?  A butcher by trade, in 1832, he appeared before Henry Revell Reynolds, Commissioner at the Shire Hall, Colchester as an insolvent debtor, but was discharged after a lengthy hearing. 10 years later, he was elected as a municipal officer for Harwich as a coal weigher. He held this post along with a further post of Corn meter at least until 1849.  I can’t find him in 1851 census, but in 1854, he is named as a grocer living in  shop premises that has a frontage in Church Street, Harwich, paying a rent of £51 per annum. By 1861, he and his wife Sarah, are living in Hackney, with her widowed father and their 2 children. By 1864 he is dead.

Tom

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 January 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom for recent information
 :) Bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 January 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Charles Durrant, was the son of James Durrant and Ann Blogg, born 1842, he trains as a customs officer and works in Harwich. I found this articles about him in the Ipswich Journal of May 1869:

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, May 8, 1869; Issue 6774.

On Monday morning an inquest was heard at the Three Cups Hotel, before W. Codd, coroner, when the following particulars were given in evidence It appears that on Saturday a party of coastguardsmen arrived here to proceed by the Magnet Gunboat to Sheerness. Sidney Clarke a carpenter on board HMS Pembroke said he was with the deceased till 11 o’ clock on Saturday night, at which time he left him to get lodgings. Deceased appeared perfectly sober when he last saw him. Mr. Charles Durrant, a customs officer said he saw deceased lying on the pier at half-past 12 on Saturday night. He touched him with his foot and said “It’s a cold night”, and deceased said “All Right”, and went to sleep. At one o’ clock on Sunday morning, a boatman named George Puxley saw deceased lying asleep on the Pier. At Half past one a Coastguardsman picked up a Coastguardsman hat but did not see anyone lying on the pier. At nine o’clock in the morning James Hart, a fisherman saw a body floating in three feet of water close under the Pier. It was at once got into a boat and taken to the Coastguard Station when it was identified as James William Cobbett. The jury found a verdict of “Found Drowned”. The Deceased leaves a widow and one child.

When his aunt, Mary Hannah Durrant, died in 1886, the wife of another Customs officer, Thomas Durrant, (his uncle), Charles acted as her executor.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 January 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Bob,
Just to let you know that the photographer at the wedding in 1869 at Southwold was a James Court and his wife Eliza-or maybe it was his wife, as she is named as a photographer in the 1871 census. I have found some old photographs taken in 1869, the back reads J Court Photographic Artist Southwold.

Tom