Author Topic: Peter Garritty, Westmeath c.1800 - 1850  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Union Jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Peter Garritty, Westmeath c.1800 - 1850
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
My GGG-Grandfather, according to an 1846 London Marriage Certificate, was Peter Garritty, more likely spelled 'Geraghty' in Ireland. His occupation is listed as 'Weaver' and his son's birthplace is indicated as 'Ireland Westmeath' on the 1851 census of England.

Family tradition indicates that Peter's son came from Castlepollard, however there is no known documentation to support that idea.

That's all I have to go on and Irish records are sparse, so I'm hoping that his occupation or someone else's research might provide a lead. Actually, ANY ideas are welcome.

Union Jack

Forsyth, McPherson, McConnachie, Anderson (Aberdeenshire), Collier, Garraty, Noquet (London), Brown (Hertford)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Garritty, Westmeath c.1800 - 1850
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
to start to search for records before the start of full civil registration (1864) you need to have two import details - the family religion and where they lived.

Some parish records for Co. Westmeath are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation as http://www.rootsireland.ie/ , but note that they do not have all the surviving records and not all parishes have records going back to the early 1800s.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Garritty, Westmeath c.1800 - 1850
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the RootsIreland website includes details for the RC parish of Castlepollard. Records for the parish go back to the 1760s (with some gaps) and are available on microfilms Pos. 4164 & 4165 in the National Library in Dublin.

Historic records for the Church of Ireland parish which covers the town (Rathgarve) do not appear to have survived.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests