Author Topic: Death and burial in West Lothian  (Read 1969 times)

Offline dltedrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death and burial in West Lothian
« on: Wednesday 26 January 11 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I hope some kind person may be able to answer my question. I have a great aunt who died in 1910. According to family stories and backed up by the death registration she died suddenly while on a train travelling between Livingstone and Drumshorland Stations in Broxburn. The death was registered the Parish Uphall. The death registration also stated that the family was living in Seafied at the time. I have been told by family that she is buried in the Dunbar Cemetery (Section B, layer 63). I even have a picture of the headstone. Can anyone tell me if there is a Dunbar Cemetery in West Lothian? I know that there is a city called Dunbar in East Lothian, but cannot find anything in the west. And the main reason I am questioning this is that I can find 2 generations of my family in and around West Lothian as my great gradnfather was a shale miner, but I cannot find any records to say they lived in East Lothian so one would have to wonder, why would she be buried in East Lothian when she lived, died and the family worked in West Lothian.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Death and burial in West Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi dltedrick

Have you considered contacting the East Lothian Council to see whether they may be able to confirm the details you have? See www.eastlothian.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=655&documentID=193

You have precise info, including death date and lair details. Would be worth checking with them to see if they can assist with the details you have.

If your great aunt is buried there, as to the 'why's'....?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dltedrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica. I will give that a try. The email doesnt seem to work from Canada so I have dropped a letter in the mail.

Cheers

Lori

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
It's not you Lori, I've just tried the link and it doesn't work does it  :-\  Try also perhaps from this page, just tried it and it seems to connect better direct to email. www.eastlothian.gov.uk/site/scripts/contact.php

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk