Author Topic: "The Somerset Years"  (Read 7004 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Somerset Years"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 May 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
PM sent to "giblet" and "ozigal" with pages requested from the book "The Somerset Years"

cheers :)
cupoflife

Many thanks for that  :)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 May 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Giblet

I have family who emigrated on the Lysander arirving Port Phillip, 22nd October, 1841.  Is this the voyage in that book?  My lot were Irish so I doubt they would be mentioned.  I think they joined the voyage in Plymouth and it would be interesting to read about it.

I note that the NLA has it.  They offer a very good copy service so long as the copies required don't violate copyright.  Cost is $16.50 for 50 consecutive pages so perhaps the chapter you want would be 50 pages or less.
https://copiesdirect.nla.gov.au/

Judith

Bummer - I was at the NLA today and could easily have looked at it for you.

I have it now Judith, thanks  :)

Yes that is the voyage.

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
PM sent to "giblet" and "ozigal" with pages requested from the book "The Somerset Years"

cheers :)
cupoflife

Gosh that's amazing - thanks c-o-l.

Certainly appreciate your help and the pages which I now have safely in hand.

(Apologies for the delay in my reply  :-[ )

Offline desone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 04:35 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of "The Somerset Years" and would be happy to scan sections of interest to persons of interest. The book is long out of print and you would be very hard pressed to locate a copy on-line and the only other option would be a public library. If you message me with your contact details,
I can email the pages or subject individuals you are researching. The book contains a very good name index.

Offline geoffh1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 23 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of "The Somerset Years" and would be happy to scan sections of interest to persons of interest. The book is long out of print and you would be very hard pressed to locate a copy on-line and the only other option would be a public library. If you message me with your contact details,
I can email the pages or subject individuals you are researching. The book contains a very good name index.

Not sure how to PM, but would be interested in your offer desone. John and Susanna Harrison were actually my ancestors, so seeing what is on page 58 regarding the description of the journey is of personal interest to me.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 November 23 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how to PM, but would be interested in your offer desone. John and Susanna Harrison were actually my ancestors, so seeing what is on page 58 regarding the description of the journey is of personal interest to me.

Your John and Susanna Harrison arrived on the Lysander? John Toward Harrison and Susanna Shackloth? IF so i have heaps of information on them i'm happy to share. My Aunt has written a book on the Harrison history.

Offline geoffh1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 November 23 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Your John and Susanna Harrison arrived on the Lysander? John Toward Harrison and Susanna Shackloth? IF so i have heaps of information on them i'm happy to share. My Aunt has written a book on the Harrison history.

Yes giblet, that would be them. I've been tracing back the family tree on the Harrison side as a pet project over the last couple of years on and off. I have little time to work on it unfortunately, but I have birth/marriages/deaths from online resources and linked everything from the current generation (i.e. my kids) all the way back to 1510 on the Harrison line.

My wife asked my 'why' my ancestors came out to Australia a couple of days ago, so I went hunting and found John Toward Harrison and Susanna Shackloth came out as assisted immigrants to Victoria (which upset my wife as I think she was secretly hoping my ancestor was a convict :) ). That's the reason I found out about the book 'The Somerset Years'.

Any information you've have access to would be appreciated, the book by your Aunt sounds very interesting. I've been wanting to fill out details for each person in the family line as my next task and didn't know where to begin. I could also provide some info/a chart of what I have so far if interested up until my grandparents (as they've passed away now so no privacy concerns.) I've been building the chart/connections using only documented resources, so it should be pretty accurate.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 00:30 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat geoffh1977. In order to access the personal message system you need to make at least three posts on RootsChat. 2 more replies to this thread will do it.  :D

Offline geoffh1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat geoffh1977. In order to access the personal message system you need to make at least three posts on RootsChat. 2 more replies to this thread will do it.  :D

Thanks maddys52 - I just signed up when I saw the earlier post about The Somerset Years. Hopefully I'm already nearly there so I can take the private tree stuff off the main board.