Author Topic: WATKISS family history  (Read 1574 times)

Offline pergand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATKISS family history
« on: Thursday 27 January 11 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know anything about Appolonia ? born 1803 Holdgate Shropshire.
She was married to Samuel Watkiss born 1795?

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WATKISS FAMILY HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I have done a  quick search...

She appears in the 1871 census as a widow Appolonia Watkiss aged 68 with son Thomas Evans aged 22 or 29 (there is a line through the second digit making it difficult to read) and Sarah Watkiss aged 25
Ref: RG10/2741/71 p 1.

In 1861, she is living in Longstanton with husband Samuel and daughter Rose aged 11
Ref : RG9/1848/149 p 3.

In 1851, she is in Longstanton entered as aged 46 and with husband Samuel (entered as Watkins) and daughters Sarah aged 5, Rose 1 and Thomas Evans as a lodger aged 9.....
Next door is Thomas Evans aged 55, schoolmaster unmarried...Coincidence or family?
Ref: HO107/1986/82 p 6.

There is a marriage on the GRO Index for Appolonia Evans to Samuel Watkins in Dec 1843 in Bridgnorth Vol 18 Page 49

I would think then that the correct age for Thomas in 1871 should be 29, so he would be born to Appolonia whilst still Evans...there is a birth of Thomas Evans in Mar 1842 Bridgnorth Vol 18 Page 27 which could be him.

Do you know if she is likely to have been married to a Evans or born Evans?

In 1841 she could be Appolonia Evans aged 35 in Diddlebury, Ludlow Reg district as next entry to the family of Thomas and Mary Newill.

ref:  HO107/912/10 16 p 24.

And,from www.familysearch.org :-
Appolonia Evans...Baptism/Christening Date:    26 Oct 1806    HOLDGATE,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND   :    
Parents Benjamin  & Martha Evans

Looks like she was born Applonoia Evans then...

Hope it is what you are looking for and helps.
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline pergand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATKISS family history
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have started to follow up on your information,and the first thing I have discovered from your info is:

Appolonia was indeed born to Benjamin and Martha,or was she,having checked on Familysearch, could her father also have been
Samuel.
Because most of the births at the time were given to Samuel and Martha,Appolonia being the only birth attributed to Benjamin.
Appolonia appears without any husband,with 3 Children William,Samuel and Charles.
As i've only just started to look at the facts,I am sure this Appolonia you have given info.about is the same one.
Thanks again.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WATKISS family history
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say....,

This could be the marriage of Appallonia's parents Benjamin and Martha on familysearch.org
It is the right district.

Benjamin Evans m Martha Sandwell 20 Feb 1803 Ludlow, Shropshire

There is a marriage for a Samuel Evans to Martha Bould in Edgmond 7 Nov 1803. They could be the parents of the other names you mention.
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex