Author Topic: Haldanes of Colmonell, Ayrshire  (Read 14426 times)

Offline jtjackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haldanes of Colmonell, Ayrshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
Afternoon

Regarding John Haldane in NZ does anyone know who his Wife Margaret Fellowes grandfather Robert Fellowes parents were?  Supposedly he married Mary Jane Ross in Carlisle but I can't find it though she can be found. I presume he is from Ireland but can't find him there either. Being sergeant his commission wasn't bought which would indicate not being from a wealthy family.

From my brothers look at the Haldanes it looks like they were in Colmonell or around it for centuries but I will look to see what he has got.

Offline lainey777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 March 15 06:19 GMT (UK) »
hi, i have some haldanes in colmonell from john haldane b 1735, d 15 feb 1787 in colmonell, and wife agnes mcconchie b 1736, colmonell? ayrshire d 1790 colmonell.  Their son john haldane b 26 oct 1765 in dam con colmonell, d 5 oct 1840 married elizabeth mcilwain b 1804 wigtownshire d 1840  they married in stoneykirk 15 apr 1790.  (she was 24 and he was 39).  also a possible early marriage for agnes mcconchie to john fergusson b 1735 kirkoswald.  marriage dated 23 jan 1757 in kirkoswald.  she was 21 he was 22.
would the 1706 date for john haldane be a misprint either on the records or the grave marker or transcribing problem?  or is he the "1735" john the son of the 1706 one and could agnes have  married both?  interesting, lainey

Offline tigger88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 March 15 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi lainey
I haven't looked at this family for some time ??? but I think I can answer some of your questions.
John Haldane (1706-1787) married Agnes McConchie 1736-1790(there are different spellings for her name) although I haven't been able to find the actual marriage.  I also haven't been able to find her birth!  As far as I can tell, John was about 30 years her senior.
They had 5 children: William (1762-1836) John (1765-1840) Thomas (1768-) Hugh (1770 -) and Agnes (1775 -)
Much has been written about this family but none of the facts have been able to be proven.  I'm afraid I have left it as it all seemed too hard!
All their children were born in Colmonell and I'm picking they were married in Colmonell.  I guess I must now do more searching!
CHS -Pennell
AYR  -Haldane
NTH/WAR -Gurney/Davis
CUM -Wright/Varty/Grierson
NI -Roy/Boal
AUS/NZ - Robinson/Shelford/Gurney/Pennell/Hisshion
WOR - Harris/Hyde/
SAL - Cheadle/Hyde
SCO - Ross

Offline tigger88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 March 15 11:45 GMT (UK) »
John Haldane (1765-1840) married Elisabeth McIlwain (1763-1823) 15 Apr 1790 (banns) at Stoneykirk, Wigtown.
They had 4 children James (1790-1790) Janet   (1795-1874) (She married David Brown)
Thomas (1796-1878) He married Anne McIlraith in 1829:
John (1805-1876) He married Janet McCredie 1826 in Fife.
John and Janet emigrated to South Australia in 1848 on the 'Bolton' with their children. Thomas and Anne followed and ended up in Fitzroy, Melbourne, Victoria.
Hope this helps.
Lesley
CHS -Pennell
AYR  -Haldane
NTH/WAR -Gurney/Davis
NI -Roy/Boal
WOR - Harris/Hyde/
SAL - Cheadle/Hyde
SCO - Ross

Offline lainey777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 March 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks folks.  the john haldane who married agnes mcconchie was my 7 x ggrandfather.  weirdly enough, the burn which starts practically outside my front door, runs though colmonell where they lived.  as i just found out this info, and dont come from this area myself, found it really interesting.  i have johns parents as david haldane (1720-) and janet frier (1723-)from borthwick, midlothian, from ancestry registers, which cant then be acurate if john was born in 1706 or thereabouts.  more digging needed lol.  cheers and happy hunting

Offline lainey777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 March 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
oh, i'm tracing through john haldanes (1765) and elizabeth mcilwain's (1764 - 1825) son john haldane (1805 carlton mains colmonell - 1876 gawler plains, adelaide) who married janet maxwell hilden torrance (1804 - 1874 kirkolm, wigtownshire - 1874 gawler plains, adelaide, australia) on 4th may 1829.  thanks

Offline Marionrw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 June 15 04:27 BST (UK) »
I just bought a house that was owned by John Haldane (born in 1805), he purchased 843 acres in 1852 (I think), he paid 82 pounds and 1 shilling for it.  There was a coach house on it, or he built it shortly after I guess.

In about 1870 a house was built on the property.

In the 1950's the house and coachhouse were joined together, and that is what we have now bought.  we move in in August 2015.

We started to do a bit of research on the Haldanes, and discovered an interesting case of Haldane v McEwen, where Haldane was suing McEwen for 100 pounds for the loss of services that were provided by Haldanes daughter (a widow by then), Elizabeth Potts.  Mr McEwen was accused of getting Elizabeth pregnant (from our research, we don't know if it was a consensual sexual relationship... possibly for money... or if it was non-consenual).  Apparently she was ill throughout the pregnancy and for some time after (the baby boy only lived 8 days).  Her father was eventually awarded 30 pounds compensation.  Apparently the hearing went for several hours in the Gawler local court and was of great interest to the local community, and at times the crowd was difficult to control!

The house is on Potts Road, in what would have been Gawler Plains.

John Haldane and his wife also owned a farm at Nuriootpa. They had other children as well I think.

Elizabeth Potts passed away at the age of 72 she was "found dead in her bed", having milked 2 cows in the morning, had her dinner and retired for her usual afternoon nap, at that time she was living with her son, John.

Offline tigger88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 June 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
Wow Marion what an interesting story.  Your new house certainly has a history.
I haven't been able to find out much about the Haldanes in South Australia, although I haven't looked at them for awhile.
John and Janet Haldane came out to South Australia in 1848 with six of their 8 children, two of whom died very young in Scotland.  As I understand it, John obtained land for farming in 1848, not sure if he bought it or was given it under the land settlement for new settlers.  Possibly the latter as South Australia was settled by new settlers, they did not have convict labourers.
He must have had some money to have bought another property at Nuriootpa, although maybe he was a canny Scotsman and careful with it!  Thank you so much for sending this information.
Cheers
Lesley
CHS -Pennell
AYR  -Haldane
NTH/WAR -Gurney/Davis
NI -Roy/Boal
WOR - Harris/Hyde/
SAL - Cheadle/Hyde
SCO - Ross