Author Topic: DUNSTAN family  (Read 15334 times)

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
DUNSTAN family
« on: Sunday 17 April 05 02:05 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone researching the Dunstan family from Cornwall. In particular Stithians area.

cheers,

Wendy

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: DUNSTAN family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy...... I have an interest in this family through marriage...Abraham Dunstan 29 Jan 1832 son of William Dunstan 30 Mar 1783  and Barbara Oppy 5 Feb 1790 ...William and Barbara had at least 13 children between 1811 and 1832 in Stithians.... Abraham Dunstan=Rosina Flamank 21 Mar 1857 Stithians....Abraham was a miner...He appears to die in Redruth 1880 and by the time of the 81 census Rosina and the children have left the mines and are in Yorkshire....My interest is the Flamank Family ....Kris  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

I'm finding the Dunstan's a very hard lot to track down.
My g.g. g'mother is Caroline Dunstan born 1832/33 Stithians, Tubbin Hill to parents Thomas Dunstan & Annie who is also supposed to be a Dunstan. Still trying to confirm this. The family appear on the 1841 census, living Stithians, Address: Treboast. My family is possibly connected to your interest however there are many Dunstans in Cornwall and alot have the same christian names. So inconsiderate!!!
I'll let you know if I find anything but am yet to really get this mob off the ground.

nice to hear from you,

Wendy  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 04:31 BST (UK) »
Very Interesting Wendy. In all honesty I haven't done a lot with this line either. As you say there are so many Dunstans...one would think there must be a connection surely as our Dunstans are also in Stithians and clearly have a history in the parish. Abraham was also in Stithians in 1841 at Trembroath age 9 so of similar age to your Caroline. This is only a side line to me. My interest lies with Rosina's Brother. Abraham's Father William was the son of William b 1744 Stithians who married Ann Andrew. I have 11 children to them but alas no Thomas. If I come up with anything I will get back to you...All the Best....Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 06:57 BST (UK) »
Kris on the 1871 census there is a Mary Jane Oppy born 1840 Stithians, working for James and Esther Dunstan as a General Servant.

Forgot to mention I am astounded by your number of posts.  :o I'd better get a wriggle on. LOL

Well done,

Wendy :)

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello
There is a book ( A4 format) called 'Stithians Families' by Edward Martin which includes some very detailed research into the Dunstan/Dunstone family of Stithians but covers the 17th and 18th centuries only.  The Society of Genealogists in London used to have a copy.  I believe that a second book ('More Stithians Families') also exists but I haven't seen this and don't know which families it covers.

The Dunstones left wills and somewhere I have copies of a few and h/w transcripts.

At one stage, I thought I connected to the Dunstone family through a Samuel Peters/Grace Dunstone marriage (1721) but I think I decided otherwise.   I think there's likely to be a link somewhere though.  I haven't looked at this family for some time so I'm rusty.

So once you get back to the 18th century, I may have lots of information for you but I'm afraid I can't help you now.
Deborah

Offline Jiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
my first time using this forum. I also have Dunstans; Stithians and elsewhere in  Cornwall
Thomas m Elizabeth Marten 1792
Children: Thomas b 1793  d  1795
       Elizabeth b 1794
       Thomas  b  1796
       John       b  1796
       Clarinda  b   1800
        James    b   1802
         Chilion   b    1805
         Danias   b    1808   this I believe is my line.    would  be interested to know if these tie in with  anyones data.   any help much appreciated. It appears Danias was married 3 times to Ann Peters,  Harriet [ Margaret] [Ripper] Oppie  then  a Jane. 
                                           regards   Jeannine

Offline ian.h

• I have turned off all notification of new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 05 20:49 BST (UK) »

hi all
have you tried   mike dunstan web site
http://www.dunstan.org.uk/
bit of info on dunstan in stithians /cornwall
atb ian.h

borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
cullwick Birmingham-newport
smart -bristol
vaughan- hereford- newport
bennett-bristol-newport

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 August 05 05:15 BST (UK) »
many thanks Ian. Very interesting info. we have a William Dunstan as witness to marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth Marten 1792 so will look at that some more.
                           regards   jeannine