Author Topic: Greenhalgh confectioners Manchester  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhalgh confectioners Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 January 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
1927 directory has a Mrs Florence Ford shopkeeper at 26 Clarion street/ Livesey street Collyhurst.

Migky  ;)

Scrub that, they didn't marry till 1928 Doh!

Migky ;)

Offline ColleenA56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 April 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello AB,
Edward and Eliza Greenhalgh were my father-in-law's grandparents. They had seven children but only three survived infancy/childhood. I believe their son took over the bakery and he had ten children, this may be who you recall. Dad's Aunt Florrie married Valentine Ford on 18 Jun 1928 at St Georges, Oldham Road. A cousin mentioned that Val and Flo had a few children, a baby girl who died because the fire went out, and * a son with down's syndrome. I would love to hear from you.
Cheers, Colleen

Offline Megs60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi my paternal grandmother was Henrietta Greenhalgh Brannan, father William John Brannan, he was a confectioner lived in Harper St Oldham. I am guessing that Henrietta's mum was a Greenhalgh perhaps of the confectioner family, given the connection with her father. They married 5 June 1901 at St Paul's Oldham. Sorry haven't done any research into older roots so don't know her mum's name. Henrietta married Charles Garlick of Tilbury St.

Offline ColleenA56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 June 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all replies.  I know for sure the family I am researching are not related to the Greenhalgh bakery chain scattered around  -  that company was started in Bolton and the owner confirmed no connection in a reply e mail to my enquiry.  I've accessed the marriage and death records of Valentine and Florence thanks.

I think the Edward Greenhalgh on Butler street is the person I am looking for.  Edward Greenhalgh had several children but I don't know their names.  If anyone remembers this shop (known as Terry's in the 1960's) and remembers the Greenhalgh family who ran it in the late 1920's, I'd be grateful for any information.  Florence Greenhalgh (daughter of Edward) had a son who had Down's syndrome.  He was a well known figure in the Ancoat's/ Miles Platting/ Collyhurst areas in the 60's/70's.  Does anyone remember
(*) who could be seen banging a tin drum behind a brass band during Whitsun?..."

Hello contactAB,

We are related, by marriage at least. Was your original post to connect with family as cousin Valey was dying? It does not appear that you have returned to the forum since the original two posts. and I would like to get in touch with you. Please see my 2013 response and I look forward to hearing from you

Cheers, Colleen

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi my paternal grandmother was Henrietta Greenhalgh Brannan, father William John Brannan, he was a confectioner lived in Harper St Oldham. I am guessing that Henrietta's mum was a Greenhalgh perhaps of the confectioner family, given the connection with her father. They married 5 June 1901 at St Paul's Oldham. Sorry haven't done any research into older roots so don't know her mum's name. Henrietta married Charles Garlick of Tilbury St.

Hello and welcome to rootschat  :)

Your post seems to have got lost in the middle of this thread. If you would like to start a topic on your family, you can either begin again or ask a moderator to split your post ( see report to moderator on your post).
It looks as though William's wife was Fanny Greenhalgh.She married as a widow, Fanny Thorp. The marriage is here
As I said, if you want to delve a bit deeper, just start a new topic or ask for help.
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Time Traveller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 November 22 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just found this thread on Greenhalgh Confectioners because I am researching my great aunt, in 1921 she was a shop assistant at Greenhalgh,  6 Union Terrace, Cheetham and in 1939 she was still a shop assistant,  by then she had married and was divorced, would it be Greenhalgh Confectioners she worked for in 1921? We don't know what happened to her after 1939, I can't find her death or any other information, I was thinking people must have know her, I'm just looking for the slightest of information to give me a lead, her name in 1921 was.......Ethel Smith......not to worry due to a recent match with her granddaughter we know her married name was Holden, her granddaughter doesn't know anything either and she never met Ethel.

It was interesting to find something out about Greenhalgh even if there isn't no leads having knowing nothing before.

Thank you.

Offline ColleenA56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 February 24 06:56 GMT (UK) »
[quote from The Time Traveller link]
Hi, I have just found this thread on Greenhalgh Confectioners because I am researching my great aunt, in 1921 she was a shop assistant at Greenhalgh,  6 Union Terrace, Cheetham and in 1939 she was still a shop assistant,  by then she had married and was divorced, would it be Greenhalgh Confectioners she worked for in 1921? We don't know what happened to her after 1939, I can't find her death or any other information, I was thinking people must have know her, I'm just looking for the slightest of information to give me a lead, her name in 1921 was.......Ethel Smith......not to worry due to a recent match with her granddaughter we know her married name was Holden, her granddaughter doesn't know anything either and she never met Ethel.
It was interesting to find something out about Greenhalgh even if there isn't no leads having knowing nothing before.
Thank you.
[end quote]

Hi,
The 1921 census has my Edward Greenhalgh as a carter so I don’t believe he was working as a baker/confectioner until later. Also I believe his eldest grandson Edwin started in his teens as a baker’s apprentice but he wasn’t born until 1922.