Author Topic: My grandmother worked for Royal Family  (Read 1189 times)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
My grandmother worked for Royal Family
« on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Is there someone who could help me find out if there are existing records for domestic help for the Royal Family.

My Grandmother Mary Agnes Harrod born 1883 Guildford Surrey indicated that she worked for the Royal Family as a young woman. I believe the time frame would be sometime after 1901 as I think she was still living at home at that time.. Looks like Little Dunmow.

I have checked the 1911 census records for the palace but she is not there so I am thinking she worked there before that date. I was not able to find her on the 1911 census at all.

Another question would domestic help live in  during those times.

She came to Canada in 1914.

Any help greatly apprecated.

lilybell

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: My grandmother worked for Royal Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi lilybell :)

From www.royal.gov.uk:

My relative worked in the Royal Household. Do you have details about them?
The Royal Archives has references to people employed in the Royal Household from the 18th century, and indexes to names of people employed from 1660 onwards. Please put your enquiry in writing, including as much detail as possible, and send it to: The Royal Archives, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ. For earlier periods, contact the National Archives at Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU.
(http://www.royal.gov.uk/The%20Royal%20Collection%20and%20other%20collections/TheRoyalArchives/Frequentlyaskedquestions.aspx)

Cheers
Prue

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My grandmother worked for Royal Family
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 11 00:47 GMT (UK) »

Hello Prue,

Thank you for your reply I will get a letter off.

Now would like to know more about domestic help  at the Palace during the early 1900's .Would domestic staff live in.Have checked out the link you posted but did not find any answers.
Again anyone who can help would love to hear from you.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland