Author Topic: Sambroke & Dawe Ironmongers Pontypool 1940S  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sambroke & Dawe Ironmongers Pontypool 1940S
« on: Friday 28 January 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi - my late dad went to work at Sambroke & Dawe in 1940s (according to newspaper article):
Occupation National work, sambrook & dawe ltd, ironmongers pontypool - 2yrs. then went to work at aircraft factory DOWTY eqt ltd cheltenham

Does anyone know where the shop was? My dad was William Thomas Lawrence Phillips and born in 1921 in Whitland, Carms.

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sambroke & Dawe Ironmongers Pontypool 1940S
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
sandbrook and dawe ironmongers was in crane street pontypool, and the buildings on that side of crane street were knocked down in the early 1980s, for a new car park and open market.

a new wilkinsons store has now been built on that site

kitman

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for telling me where it was - shame its gone nw!

Offline Brian Damage

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry for waking up a very old-thread - over 10 years too late, but Sandbrook and Dawe's was quite the most amazing shop in Pontypool, or anywhere else that I've ever known. It was somewhere that stocked all the things you couldn't get anywhere else, whilst also somehow being a relic from a bygone age.

The staff were always friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. And always dressed in beige great-coats, I recall. I recall the shop was often cold and damp, and yet the welcome was always warm - and also there were paraffin heaters all around the store. I still remember the musty smell of the place and the bare wooden boards on the floor.

There was clearly a lot of camaraderie amongst the staff. It had a family atmosphere.

But if you wanted screws or nails or hammers, sink plugs or hot water-bottle stoppers, tea-pots, plates, a frying pan or a colander, a fire grate or a poker, light bulbs, cheese graters, keys cut, wicks for oil lamps, liquid paraffin, garden spades or shovels, seeds and fertilizer, or salt to put down on the ground when it was icey - or many other things: Sandbook and Dawe's was the place where you went.

It was a unique store, and Pontypool died more than a little when they closed:
https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/43846