Author Topic: Help Please - Arthur Edwin Westhorp - around 1855  (Read 11480 times)

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - Arthur Edwin Westhorp - around 1855
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi pjrcw

Thanks so much for the photo.  Here's our photo of 'Will' - to me he looks very similar to the one in the middle of your photo.  So now I am even more confused.  I thought Valda's information very clear (for which many thanks Valda!) and the connection to WHW as a cousin made sense.  The thing that is difficult is that I can't immediately put my hands on a young photo of Robert Stanley, so can't compare to the other one in this photo.  Do you have any idea of the date of this at all?  The photo below is dated 5 November 1917, which must have been just before he died presumably.  The inscription reads "Yours aye, Will and the date".  Still confused I have to admit.   Hope this helps you
Westhorp - Essex

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda
Thanks once again for so much detailed information - it makes a big difference.  We currently have the eldest William Hast you mention in your post as the son of a mariner (1841 census) rather than the son of a cook and we have him either involved in shipping or managing a patent machine (related to the oakum business) in the 1871 census and no sign of him being a fireman.  We also have the younger William as father to Henry born in 1950(ish) (from the 1871 census) and haven't yet found him as father to Samuel (in around the same year who shows up as the child of Elizabeth in your information from the 1851 and 1861 census').  All the siblings are correct however.  I can't remember if we have anything on a marriage between William and Elizabeth that has different parent options so will go searching for that today.  This gets more interesting the more I get into it.  Thanks again for pointing us to new info and a broader range of places to look. 
Westhorp - Essex

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks geniecolgan - those photos are going to help with comparisons to others we have around the place!  Its still a mystery this one...
Westhorp - Essex

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I imagine the cook, firemen roles are on board, or connected to ships in some way. It seems to be the correct marriage as Elizabeth Westhorp nee Sweeting has a visitor staying with her called Catherine Sweeting on the 1861 census and besides the man marrying and his father were called William Hast Westhrop. There is a limit to how many William Hast Westhorps, the sons of William Hast Westhorp are around in the same place at the same time to be able to marry in 1844 in the East End of London.

I'm wondering whether the Samuel Westhorp of the 1851 and 1861 censuses was actually

Births Sep 1849   WESTHORP  Henry Edward     Poplar  2 314

who is the same age on the 1871 census. Both images on the 1851 and 1861 censuses are clearly written as Samuel, in the case of the 1851 census Samuel E. The 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses are consistent with ages and places of birth to show it is the same family.

The three cousins Alfred Dilks, Robert Stanley and William Hast may have been very close. All three certainly lost their fathers at a very early age. However William Hast Westhorp seems to have been in a different financial position to his two cousins from the wills of his parents and was educated in a private boarding school, Seaford College in Sussex.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda.  That certainly all makes sense.  Once again thanks for providing so much detail - its helpful!
Westhorp - Essex

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again pjrcw
I have to amend the date on the photo of William Hast Westhorp I attached earlier - further investigation shows it to read 5.4.17 we think - which puts it just 23 days before his death according to the military record.
Westhorp - Essex

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 February 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geniecolgan

My brother is now a subscriber to Ancestry but he can't find the images of Robert Stanley Westhorf that you identified for us.  Is it, by any chance, easy to describe what he should do to get to see them?  Thanks for your help (in advance).  Being all newbies is a bit difficult sometimes.
Westhorp - Essex

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi mrsearch,
I haven't looked at all the images but I should tell you they are not photographs of Robert Stanley. They are images of Army forms relating to his Pension.

On Ancestry;
Click on the SEARCH tab, then make sure you are using the new search (top right).
Enter the following:-
Name; Robert Westhorf
Event; Military
Collection Priority; UK and Irish
Restrict to; Historical records

He is the first one on the list. British Army WWI Pension Records.
When you go to look at the image it brings up the first of 11 that they have for him.
Once the image is up you can go to the following images by clicking the forward arrow (top right).

Give this a try and let's know how you get on.

Regards,
genie  :)

"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline mrsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 February 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the help.  I'll pass it on and see how it goes!
Westhorp - Essex