Author Topic: Free access to criminal records  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Free access to criminal records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Just phoned WR records office in Leeds and they suggest it might be worth a search of the records held at Wakefield.  I will phone there too to see if they can look in their catalogue to see if they do have the records I want.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Bridgebabe ,
 also ask  your  archives what  Gaol records  that they hold/survive  when you visit  and where this person may have been sent  (  Gaol records give the appearance of the person age, a  brief description of the crime , height, hair, colour,  complexion, features like moles, scars etc etc where worked, where they live ( this can be general or exact location, -  for instance mine said just the town , and not st address)  ,  their  overall conduct(behaviour)  in gaol and more  they are a  wonderful wealth of info depending on era- if they survive.Many  people were held in  gaol until their trial ,so even if your ancestor was found not guilty it's a very good possibly they were  held  in a gaol for weeks/months on end  before their trial
I'm lucky with a couple of mine that their gaol records survived  ( who were found not guilty but like most of that time  were held in gaol for a few months until their trial)

Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 February 11 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cell,  I really wasn't sure what info the archives would contain, and certainly didn't know that there might be any thing other than details of sentencing.  I should certainly like to see gaol records.  'My' man was acquitted of larceny in 1830 and sentenced for larceny in 1833 (3 months imprisonment and to be whipped!)  I feel this might be my 3 x gr grandfather as my 2 xgt grfather might well have cut himself off from the family; all the children were named after the mother's family and none from the father's family. The families came from a strongly non-conformist community, and I should imagine this would be a source of great shame for them.  Wouldn't we all love to know the stories behind our findings! I will put on a post if , hopefully when, I uncover the records.
Very many thanks ,
Brenda