Author Topic: MCCORMACK  (Read 8470 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MCCORMACK
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 January 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
ahh no barking up wrong tree there, it definitely is o'connor!!! bah!!!
well on 1911 cns, there is also something in the status of Mary Dunne where something is x out and wife put in, does it say 'not'???

catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 January 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I did do a search for a marriage of a Mary McCormack and a William Dunne but the marriages were out by a few months, maybe like you said it was mary who was her real mother and then maybe married William but still not convinced Mary and William were married.  The never had any other children together......?? which poses questions about the marriage.

Yes I agree he could be an inlaw or just a friend from his hometown.
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 January 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you the 1911 census ref - ? They could have been infertile, and adopted because if that. They could have been married for at least eight years before Christina is born? Pm

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 January 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
it does say on the 1911 cns they were married 14 years.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Merchant_s_Quay/Reginald_St_/66757/

if this is correct they married at the time christina was born!

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 January 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Looked at this enlarged - seems that the enumerator had to write the word wife....over what seems to be not? But William charges at the census forms does he not? i don't remember seeing a census form with child rather than daughter. Another possibility is that eiither William or Mary could not marry as one or other of them were already married, hence William's ambiguity in both censues.....very odd indeed. PM

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you, it appears he's quite aggressive in his manner of writing!!  I haven't seen child ever on a cns form and I've been doing couple family trees now for 3 years!!  That also makes me wonder if it's William who is the controlling one here!!  It seems like that to me, that he doesn't want anyone to think its his child and yet, I think, ensures they appear to be Dunnes!!  Very strange I know! Well I think William as someone already pointed out to me lived on his own, I think, on the Thoms directory (which I don't know much about) on the 1894 one i think, on reginald SQ! not St.  If only I could find out who else lived there at the same address!!!  I'm not too sure about one of them being married though........hmmm, maybe.........

it was also stated on Christina's marriage cert...........in father column...........in huge brackets.......(Adopted Child of William Dunne)  So he was making absolutely sure everyone knew that Christina WAS NOT HIS child.  if only I could find her birth cert.................Nov/Dec 1897 is definite though........I think he was stickler for detail William so this has helped in regard to her exact quarter and year of birth.
Cath

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Generally it is not the couple or their parents who filled in the marriage cert, so its unlikely that either Christina or William put in the  "Adopted" bit - unless it is his writing.  Could be a PP  who knew she was adopted. Its the one child born alive of this marriage, one living. that is the puzzle, unless of course there was another child between 1901 and 1911 who simply was not in the house on the night of the census.

I read William's census filling abilities as a bit on the slapdash side, rather than aagressive.  Also, although he gives a lot of info, he gets it in the wrong place, so the enumerator on both censuses has to intervene, What other detail does the cert give - can you scan it in? Witnesses etc, and which church?

It will be interesting to see what comes back, if anything re possible stay in Wicklow...or on that Rathmines Cert. Worth checking the 19101 to see if there is any/ many C MCC's  aged 3/4 - if not, increases the chance this is her - William has her born in City of Dublin not once, but twice. Well worth ordering it from GRO Roscommon  if it seems close!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 10:32 GMT (UK) »
just a quick reminder about certs ... scans of full certs are not permitted, but images of small sections can be included in posts. e.g. sections showing difficult to read portions.

Dublin Mod
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Right Shane, timely reminder. had a quick look for all counties. Can't find another Christina McCormack aged 3 yrs and 4 months in 1901 in all Ireland. However, also wondering if she was registered as Christina Dunne?

re the Rathmines Harold's Cross orphanage, there is a contact email for the order here:
http://www.pccdamians.ie/contact.htm

PM