Author Topic: george hollingworth higgins. Completed  (Read 1303 times)

Offline cg fan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george hollingworth higgins. Completed
« on: Saturday 29 January 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find George Hollingworth Higgins b 1871 in Melbourne, Derbyshire.

I have him on the 1881 census living in Stanton By Bridge, with his parents, Thomas and Dorothy (Hollingworth)
The 1891 census has him living in Hasland as a boarder, after that I can't find him.
What happened to him after that?

I know he was a bad boy with a criminal record. In 1886 ( April 6 ) aged 15, he was imprisoned for 4 months for Larceny.
I have also found other crimes for George Holling(s)worth Higgins in 1885, could these be the same person?

On January 6th 1885, a George Hollingworth Higgins got 1 month for larceny in Gloucester.
On April 7th 1885, a George Hollingworth Higgins got 3 months for housebreaking and larceny, in Somerset.
On October 20th 1885, a George Hollingsworth Higgins got 14 days & 5 years detention in a reform school for larceny, in Somerset.

If this is the same George, how could he have got 5 years in a reform school in October 1885 in Somerset, then be sentenced again 6 months later in Derby? And would it seem possible for him to travel from his home in Derbyshire, to Gloucester then to Somerset and back to Derbyshire?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
cg.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: george hollingworth higgins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Pure theory - the Derbyshire crime was committed before the Somerset crime but he did a bunk and the police couldn't find him  until he was convicted in Somerset
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)