Author Topic: Help with 1841 Census for William Wilkinson  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with 1841 Census for William Wilkinson
« on: Saturday 29 January 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help please.  My friend had no success finding his ancestor William Wilkinson in the 1841 Census and he asked me if I could try.  I have been searching for about 4 hours now with no positive result.

William was a Chimney Sweep (died Chelmsford about 1883) and the information from the 1851-1881 census puts his age at anything between 1819-1826.  He was born Bloomsbury, London.  He was married to Mary Budd in Chelmsford 9th July 1844.  His marriage record states his father as James Wilkinson also a Sweep.  The object of trying to find the 1841 census is to hopefully place his father James ans with any luck, James' wife who is unknown.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 1841 Census for William Wilkinson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
As you probably already know - ages from 16yrs onwards were rounded down to the nearest 5yrs and actual birthplaces are not shown

Birthyear 1819 would appear as 1821 and birthyear 1826 as it was

There are 9 entries in total matching those 2 birthyears - none with a father James.  There are 3 more with actual birthyears shown - no James

There is only one with a father James and he was b 1827 and James was a chair mender

Have you checked each of the images to determine whether any of the William's was a chimney sweep and have you checked the images for all James Wilkinson's in Middlesex for their occupations?

If he was born in 1819 - he was likely to have left home by 1841
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a 13.7. 1818 baptism for a William Wilkinson in Holborn parents James & Priscilla but James occ was "Merchant"

Another on 20.12.1826 parents James & Sarah but James was a servant

I am just posting this info to eliminate any IGI entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Yes I have searched using the word Sweep or Chimney, applied the options for variation in the name and just searched with the Surname on soundex with the trade, but I cannot come up with a record that I can feel comfortable with.  I thank you for your help - I know it is a difficult one and won't be solved easily.  Below is an ad in the Chelmsford Chronicle in 1883.

John
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson