Author Topic: Henry James Stephenson 1825 look-up please  (Read 1879 times)

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry James Stephenson 1825 look-up please
« on: Sunday 30 January 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, this is an odd request because I'd researched this line and even have this man's parents (I think) but am going back over. I'm trying to find the baptism of a Henry James Stephenson. I'll succinctly list the details below:

Henry James Stephenson
Born about 1825
Bethnal Green/Hackney
Father: James Stephenson/Stevenson

At the time of his marriage he lived on West Street, Hackney (name of the street has been changed since) and married St John at Hackney. I simply can't find anything that could be him.

One way or another I have his parents as James Stephenson/Stevenson (from marriage cert) and his mother as Ann Sophia Stephenson. I've no idea how I managed to conclude that this is his mother.  ???

Thank you so much for any help. :)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry James Stephenson 1825 look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 11 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Can't see a Henry James, but there is an Edward James

This looks to be the same family.  Henry James said his father was a weaver, and one of the witnesses was William Edward Stephenson
St Leonard Shoreditch
1821 Nov 4, James Palmer, s/o James & Ann Sophia STEPHENSON, New Inn Yard, Weaver, born 1821 Oct 6
1823 Jul 15, William Edward, s/o James & Ann STEPHENSON, New Inn Yard, Weaver, born 1823 Jun 22
1825 Oct 23, Edward James, s/o James & Ann STEPHENSON, New Inn Yard, Weaver, born 1825 Sep 28
1828 Apr 6, Richard William, s/o James & Ann Sophia STEPHENSON, New Inn Yard, Weaver, born 1828 Mar 12

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry James Stephenson 1825 look-up please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 11 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I found Edward James in my search too, but disregarded it as the wrong person. I am on ancestry and there are one or two people with public trees who have these people in them. Ages ago when first researching this family I thought they were the same people and made note of the info they had. I'm now thinking if I had the wrong people.

The apparent grandparents of Henry James were a John Stephenson and a Susanna Palmer which would explain the middle name of the James, 1821 you found. However I have different possibilities for Henry James' father James, so I'm not sure if this is the same family.

Thanks!

Ryan :)