Author Topic: Alfred Stanton born Donington Lincolnshire  (Read 7266 times)

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Stanton born Donington Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 January 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes Lizzie I have noticed those ages too.  I have found her mother Hannah.  It would be interesting to find out if Tamar ties in to our Baxters, of course that is spreading out a bit.  I'll keep checking.
CL :D
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Stanton born Donnington Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 January 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
The only info that comes up is that her father was a farmer. 

I've got as far back as an Alexander Baxter, no dates for him.  He had at least one son, John Baxter born about 1680, who married Mary Ding.  They had 5 children, 3 sons.  One of them Daniel 1718-1778 was my 6 x g.grandfather.  It was his eldest daughter Mary who married into the Stantons.  I've not researched John and Mary's other sons John born about 1708 and Alexander born about 1710, so don't know if they are ancestors of Tamar, or whether she is descended from Daniel's son John born about 1750.

Lizzie

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 January 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie I haven't researched that far back but noticed that you and Redroger had a similar discussion.  I think I will leave it for now,
Thanks again,
CL :D in Cold Canada
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I was on the site early yesterday, due to being out for long birthday lunch, with  wife,daughter,son in law, his mother and our grandaughter. A lengthy party was 5 days cover the 3 birthdays of our generation, so I have just found this thread. I have an Alex Baxter, but he was b c1709, the son of John Baxter d1721, who I assume was the son of the older Alex.I wait with interest the return of Andrew to the site, as I am sure he can throw more light on these earlier Baxters.
Roger (In not so warm Dorset! :))
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 January 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the Stantons and Baxters married cousins etc.  My 2 x g.grandmother Mary Ann Stanton, who married George Reuben Mumby had 2 children who married siblings, that is my grandmother (Selina Stanton Mumby) married and then one of her brothers married her husband's sister ;D

I think we forget these people lived in small places and probably didn't meet that many people, although oddly in the example above, they had moved to Hull by then, so would have had a large pool of people to choose from, but perhaps they'd not got out of the habit of marrying close to home.

Lizzie

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 January 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right Lizzie.  I have found siblings for Tamar Baxter, Ann chr 1824, John chr 1829, George chr 1834 and Daniel chr 1836 ( he was buried 1837).  Looks to me as though our Daniel Baxter may have been Tamar's grandfather.
  Father, John Baxter was a Cottager at Hagbeach Manor, Whaplode for most of the christenings.
CL
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Agreed Lizzie, I think the cousin marriages became habit forming. Don't think they did it to keep control of money as there wasn't a lot of it in my part of the family at least. The case I thought of was the Edward Stanton (b1843 Brighton) who married his 2nd cousin Lucy S. Burton in St, Pancras.CL Have you tied Tamar Baxter into the larger tree for certain?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Have you tied Tamar Baxter into the larger tree for certain?

I haven't but CL thought she might have been the granddaughter of Daniel Baxter (1718-1778).  But that would mean she was the daughter of Daniels's son John born about 1750.  I don't think that can be correct as Tamar was born about 1833 and her eldest sibling seems to have been born 1824.  There must be at least one other generation between John (1750-?) and Tamar, so he might be her g.grandfather.  Alternatively, Daniel might not be the link and the link is via Daniel's brothers, John (1708-?) or Alexander (1710-?), or she has no link to our Baxters at all.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
That's why I asked the question Lizzie. My immediate inclination was that there was at least one generation missing, although had the connection been to my paternal line I would have accepted it as the norm for the family. Sounds like some more research to be done. We do need Andrew's input again I think.