Author Topic: McOwen/McKeon/McCune from Carlingford  (Read 2881 times)

Offline mmco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McOwen/McKeon/McCune from Carlingford
« on: Sunday 30 January 11 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on 2 brothers Michael (b.abt 1822 IRE) and Bernard (b. abt 1816 IRE) McOwen.  Family oral history says they came from Carlingford.  They immigrated to US (maybe landing in Canada first) c. 1840s, I do not know if they came over together or separate.  Bernard married Mary Doyle in Albany, NY on 8 Jan 1845.  Michael married Mary Byrne c. 1851 in NY.  They both worked in a stone quarry in Saugerties, NY in the 1850s and then moved to Redfield, NY to farm c. 1859.  Michael died 1862 unknown cause, Bernard died 1863 from illness originating from Civil War service.

Civil War Pension records per for Bernard state according to his wife, that last name was originally "McKeon".  And I have them listed as "McCune", "McEwen" etc in various records, so any spelling is possible.

Sorry for the very vague Irish info. but I have come up empty on all other leads to find information on these men prior to 1845 and was hoping someone had come across them in their research.

Thanks!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McOwen/McKeon/McCune from Carlingford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion your McOwen/McKeon/McCune family were ?

You need to establish this before you start any search of Irish records as the dates are well before the start of Civil registration, and parish records will be required.

Catholic records for the parish covering the town only seem to go back to about 1835, and I believe the Church of Ireland parish records for the area were lost, presumably during our Civil War in 1922.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mmco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McOwen/McKeon/McCune from Carlingford
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Bernard and Michael McOwen/McKeon were Catholic.  They are buried in a Catholic cemetery in Redfield, NY.  I know records probably won't go back that far  :(  I was really hoping to find some fellow descendants, maybe a family bible (unlikely, I know, but here is to wishful thinking!)