Author Topic: Kennedy families from Monaghan, Ireland  (Read 6659 times)

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedy families from Monaghan, Ireland
« on: Sunday 30 January 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Irish families who came to Quebec, Canada from Monaghan, Ireland.  I recently came across a Quebec burial for Sarah Kennedy who married Thomas McNeil.  The register states that she was born April 21, 1820 in Aghnamullen, County Monaghan, Ireland.
 Most of the Kennedy family groups came from County Monaghan after 1820, more came in the 30's.  Our problem here is that we can't seem to tie the Kennedy groups to any specific place or any common ancestor, but we are sure they are all related. 
The main group has William Kennedy born about 1780 as the patriarch and his wife Esther Lawson born about 1785 as the matriarch and one other, George Kennedy born about 1800 in Monaghan, Ireland.  It is possible that William and George were brothers and it is the cousins who came to Canada and not brothers and sisters, although I am sure there must have been brothers and sisters also.
The name Lawson appears many times within the descendants of William and Esther.
Any suggestions on how to find information or what to do?  I am not familiar with Irish genealogy.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Margaret Dowd
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy families from Monaghan, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »
You don't give their religion, I have the registers of Aughnamullen C of I, they don't go back far enough for your dates but the Kennedy families who attended here lived in Moylemore, Millmore  and Lisdrumcleave townlands.

Burial; 1892 James Kennedy, Moylemore age 71.. 1919 Mary Kennedy, Lisdrumcleave age 85... 1930 George Kennedy, Millmore age 91.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Blanche and Dave for your replies.

The earliest register that I know of was the Marriage of Sarah Kennedy to Thomas McNeil in Montreal, Quebec in 1848 and that was Presbyterian.
Some other early church records for the Kennedy and Moncrieff families in Quebec were Wesleyan Methodist and Church of Scotland.  They later were Presbyterian, Baptist or Church of England.

Marg
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline donnamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Dave, its been a long while since you last responded to Marg's post on this thread, but I'm hoping we can pursue it further, as I've just come upon your post.

I viewed the burial register when visiting the Aghnamullen C of I a couple of years ago in researching the Kennedys and Moncrieffs from that parish, but didn't realize other registers may also have been on-site.

Do you also have have access to the baptismal and marriage registers of this church? If so, would you be so kind as to do a lookup in those for the earliest entries for Kennedy and Moncrieff (or McCrief spelling variation)?

Best regards,
Donna

You don't give their religion, I have the registers of Aughnamullen C of I, they don't go back far enough for your dates but the Kennedy families who attended here lived in Moylemore, Millmore  and Lisdrumcleave townlands.

Burial; 1892 James Kennedy, Moylemore age 71.. 1919 Mary Kennedy, Lisdrumcleave age 85... 1930 George Kennedy, Millmore age 91.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
I don't have them now... will check through all my stuff and see if anything is there. It will be a few days before I can check.

Offline donnamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
That would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 August 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
I pulled all the Kennedys while there,  1889 is the earliest Kennedy record I have for B, D & M's!

Dave

Offline donnamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking.