Author Topic: Ann Geary in Deptford  (Read 6519 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Geary in Deptford
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Possible a sibling of Ann's. Catherine Geary baptised 4.2.1827 St Mary Magdelen Bermondsey Parents William and Dorothy address Bermondsey Street - occupation Box Maker.

John

Offline m-1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Ah, this is confusing! So do you reckon Ann Geary was born in Deptford or Denford?

Is her father William Geary or James Geary, as the Familysearch Ancestral File record suggests?
https://www.familysearch.org/s/treeDetails/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftree.familysearch.org%3A8080%2Fwww-af-webservice%2Fperson%2F9605389&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%253D

I found something when I was at the Library on Ancestrylibrary.com which was a marriage between a James Geary and Ann Roberts at St. Paul Deptford in June 1802 - could this be Ann's parents? Although the Weed middle name/surname theory sounds sensible...

Regards
Miles

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Miles,
I believe the 1861 census to be the centre pin for all that folk have posted. Ann definately has her place of birth as Denford Northamptonshire. Tie this together with the IGI submitted records which are not conclusive but very detailed I myself believe Ann's parents to be William Geary and Dorothy Weed. Would be interested to hear what other rootschatters think. There is I have just found a public tree on A....Y that records indentical findings.

John

Offline m-1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 February 11 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I didn't realise that on the 1861 census it actually says Northamptonshire as her place of birth. Would it be possible to find out if Ann Geary had any siblings also born in Denford?

So just to confirm, you believe Ann Geary's parents are William Geary and Dorothy Weed; William Geary's parents as William Geary and Ann Freeman?

Does Dorothy Weed have a place or birth listed anywhere? I wonder if there is a connection with the Griffin family as was previously mentioned?

Best wishes
Miles  :)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 February 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Miles,
I today rung the Northamptonshire records office and they confirmed the marriage of William Geary and Dorothy Weed, so we can take that as fact. Found on A....ty 2 more records.

Burial 9.1.1823 William WEED Geary Christchurch City of London born about 1822 abode Queen Head Court (possible brother of Ann)

Burial 31.5.1833 William WEED Woodward Horsleydown St John aged 1 abode Fruschool St.

I dont think I can help any further with this request, others may well be able too. Believe the submitted entries on the IGI are accurate considering the detail on them. May pay you to post a request on the Northants board to see if anyone local could do a look up for you.

John

John