Author Topic: CRAIKER (and variants) - Swalcliffe *COMPLETED*  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
CRAIKER (and variants) - Swalcliffe *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 31 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
According to the OMI, a John CRAIKER was married at Swalcliffe in 1580.

I'm trying to find the baptism/parentage of an Ann CRAKER who was married at Handborough in 1620.  There's no record of her at Handborough, or on the OBI.  However, Swalcliffe is not included on the Baptism Index, so I should be most grateful if someone could check the baptism registers to see if there's any sign of Ann.

Many thanks for any help.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline rfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CRAIKER (and variants) - Swalcliffe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennie
I have looked at Swalcliffe registers

Marriage Jan 9 1579/1580 -
CRAIKER Johannes in artibus magister istius ecclesiae vicarius to Dorothea Heins
All the entries for Craiker variants are written in Latin, other peoples entries are English, until later on when all are in English!

The nearest I can get to your Ann Craker who married in 1620 is baptism of Anne Craykar dau Solomon 5 Nov 1608 - making her 12 at marriage unless she was baptised well into childhood.

Other Craker baptisms from 1558 are:

Oct 4 1580 Craiker Timotheus filius Johannis
Sep 27 1581 Craiker Temothey et Samuel duo fili mei Johannis
Apr 7 1583 Craiker Dorothea filia mei Craiker
Sep 11 1590 Craiker Egidius fillius Salomonis
Nov 24 1593 Craiker Bridget d Salomon Craiker, Vicar of Swalcliffe - this was written in English unlike the other entries, although if he was the Vicar it may explain why his family's entries are in Latin? If he was the father of Anne is it likely she was baptised late?
Mar 7 1595/6 Jane Craiker d Solomon
Nov 22 1598 Gyles Craiker son Solomon
Apr 6 1601 Elisabeth dau Solomon
Oct 27 1602/3 Nathanael son Solomon
Apr 26 1606 William Craykar son Solomon
NOv 5 1608 Anne Craykar dau Solomon (See above)
Apr 6 1613 Charles Craker son Solomon

deaths 1577-1672
Aug 8 1615 William Crayker son Solomon
Dec 21 1623 Crayker Solomon huius ecclesiac p triginta tres Annos vicarius obijt vicesimo die Decembris Anno dm 1623. Actatis suce sexagesimo secundo. Vixit in hac pochia 42 Annos.  Sorry not sure what this means in English!
No trace of his birth or marriage in Swalcliffe.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else in Swalcliffe as I have the parish on CD. ;D
Rebecca
Wheeler/Roberts/Gough/Keasey of Oxfordshire/Warwickshire. Clark/Huxtable/Andrew/Bale/Watts Devon
Gibbins/Bowler Sheffield, Eden/Phipps of Hook Norton Oxfordshire
Nightingale/Tandy Worcestershire
Symes Devon

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebecca ...

Thanks so much for all that information - and for also typing out the Latin bits!

Unfortunately, I think your theory is probably correct - if her father was the vicar, then it's almost certain that Ann was baptised as a newborn.  As "my" Ann married in 1620 and had her first child the following year, she would definitely be too young.

However, I wonder if I could ask you to do a couple of further checks of the Swalcliffe PRs.  I have two further references to a female CRAKER connection to Handborough - a Mary Craker marries in Handborough in 1665, and a Rebecca Craker "of Handborough"  marries in Charlton-on-Otmoor in 1663.  My theory is that these could possibly be nieces/cousins of Ann and I would like to know if there's any record of a possible birth for either of them at Swalcliffe.

Thanks again for any help.

Pennie

Offline rfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have checked through to 1694 and there are no more Craiker baptisms in Swalcliffe.  ???
By the way I got the CD from the OFHS which has lots of useful resources if you have Oxford ancestors.
Rebecca
Wheeler/Roberts/Gough/Keasey of Oxfordshire/Warwickshire. Clark/Huxtable/Andrew/Bale/Watts Devon
Gibbins/Bowler Sheffield, Eden/Phipps of Hook Norton Oxfordshire
Nightingale/Tandy Worcestershire
Symes Devon

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebecca ...

Thanks once again for your help.  I shall now have to continue my search elsewhere ...!!!

Pennie

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CRAIKER (and variants) - Swalcliffe *COMPLETED*
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 22 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Stumbled over this string whilst updating my own tree.

My 10x great grandfather was Robert Curtis (d1617) of Honington, Warwickshire. Amongst his children were daughter Katherine Curtis my 9x great grandmother and son William Curtis (d1641).

In 1623 Dorothy Crayker of Honington made a will detailing her children, including daughter Dorothea Curtis and William Curtis son in law joint executor (PCC). She also mentions daughters Mary Hartwell, Alice Compton and Dionise Weeks as well as son Timothy Crayker joint executor.

In Swalcliffe we have evidence of 2 Timothy Craikers baptised to vicar Johannes Craiker - in 1580 and in 1581 (along with twin Samuel). Also there is Dorothea (1583) and Dyonyse (1593).

Given the unusual names it seems highly probable these are the same family.

As another possible link we know that Johannes (John) Craiker was parish clerk/priest at Swalcliffe, as was his brother Solomon. A relative and fellow researcher of mine has located the earliest records for this family, in Winchcombe Gloucestershire, where the baptisms of John and Solomon are recorded without a father’s name. The clerk of Winchcombe, Giles Craiker, was buried there 1564/65 and is highly likely to be their father. Another Craiker in Winchcombe is John who makes a will lodged at Gloucester 1549 mentioning wife Sybil and daughters Alis and Joan.

Incidentally Giles is the Anglicised Egidius.

Also the clergydatabase.com records Giles/Egidius as a cleric 1620/21 at St Giles, Oxford.

And a translation of the Swalcliffe burial entry for Solomon in 1623 is “The vicar of this church for thirty-three years died on the twentieth day of December in the year 1623. He lived in this village for 42 years”.

Lots more searching then!

Regards

David
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo