Author Topic: Am I blind? Where is 'The Square' Clackmannan? **COMPLETED**  (Read 6164 times)

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Am I blind? Where is 'The Square' Clackmannan? **COMPLETED**
« on: Monday 31 January 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

My Grandfather is recorded as being born at 5 Square, Clackmannan.  Various other Census records and Statutory records list this and neighbouring addresses for members of the family but I can't find it on the map!  I can't find anything on GoogleMaps that looks to me like a town square.

Can anyone tell me whether the name of it has changed, or has it gone entirely?

Much appreciated,

OchAye :)
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I blind? Where is 'The Square' Clackmannan?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
not sure if this is helpful or not but all I could find and no, it doesn't look like a square but does talk to the town square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackmannan,_Clackmannanshire

Hope it helps a bit

Just found this and it does relate to "The Square" it is a row of houses

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/412.html

Oh towards the bottom  ;D
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janinez,

Upon reading the mining website bit you pointed me to, I see that The Square is actually a row, so maybe that explains why it doesn't look like much of a square!  I found somewhere else that they do have a market there though so that must be the closest thing to a square in Clackmannan.

I suppose what I'm really trying to find out is how I would establish which houses are the ones I'm looking for?  I haven't had any luck finding old Clackmannan town maps on the net, does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated :)
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
The Square can be found on ‘Clackmannan and Kincardine 1898 Old Ordnance Survey Maps ‘ Clackmannanshire sheet  140.05.  This is published by Alan Godfrey, 57-58 Spoor St., Dunstead, Gateshead. 

Use Google satellite map for Alloa Road, Clackmannan.  The Square was located between Alloa Rd.  and Zetland St., with South Pilmuir Rd., on its southern edge. 

Oddly enough The Square would have occupied part of my present day back garden.

As Janinez says this is your ‘Square’.
Near the Green is "the Square," consisting of two parallel rows with an end row, and comprising in all about twenty new houses, not yet finished. These are built on the site of an old square of dilapidated houses, some of the walls of which have been utilised in the construction of the new buildings, which promise to afford good accommodation, although the apartments are small. There are large windows on both sides, providing for through currents of air, and ventilators are placed below the floors, which are well raised from the ground. So far there is no appearance of any outhouses.

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, I bought the above mentioned ordnance survey map from Alloa library.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
No need to buy a map.  You can see it very clearly here:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

Be patient when you are using this.  You'll get there eventually!
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Maddymoss I was able to find The Square easily with your description, amazing to me that your garden used to be part of it, my Grandfather was born there in 1911.  The extract from the mining website that talks about the Square just being constructed is from 1875 and I know my various family members moved from there in the 30s, when was it all torn down?

Imber thanks for that website, it is brilliant, I will use it all the time now!

Thanks again :)
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline txkulbreez

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Am I blind? Where is 'The Square' Clackmannan? **COMPLETED**
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 12 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I know it has been a while since you posted, but I just saw your post today when I was researching "The Square".  My great-grandmother referenced it on her border crossing paperwork in 1927. She listed as her brother Williams current address. She also listed is as the place she resided.  So it is very possible that the homes were still there in the 1930's.

Their last name was Ramage, and while that is not a name on your list, it very well could be our families knew each other.