Author Topic: COMPLETED ... SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton ... COMPLETED  (Read 18098 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire:  Not a problem, and glad to have been of service.  Just wondering where you got the details for John Salt, born 1816?  I've had a look on the new Family Search site and there is a John Salt baptised 6 August 1814 with father Matthew (and a choice of mother - Mary or Sarah) at St John, Longton.  I think I should take a look at that, if you agree.  Plus there appears to be a marriage in Stoke on Trent of Matthew Salt and Sarah Robinson on 2 August 1813 - perhaps I should check that out for you as well  :-\  Let me know  :)

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB,

Any searches you can do for me would be much appreciated.

In 1841, John is living with father Matthew and 4 siblings in Windmill Yard, Prestbury, Macclesfield.

In 1851, Matthew is now married to Jane (3rd wife) and they and youngest daughter Rosanna (Rosanah) are living in Fountain St, Sutton, Macclesfield.  Meanwhile, John, Charles and James SALT are living as cowkeepers in Windmill Yard, Prestbury, Macclesfield.  John has birthyear 1816, Charles 1819 and James 1823.  All 3 claim to be born in Lane End, Staffordshire.  RG HO107 Place 2159 Folio 470 Page 12.

According to Mathew's Will in 1852, he had sons John, Charles, James and daughters Sarah, Elizabeth and Rosannah.

I haven't narrowed down my search for John in 1861 or 1871.
I had thought I had found John again in 1881, living with his brother Charles at Blakelow Bank.  Perhaps not, as they both are bachelors, claiming to have been born in Congleton, Cheshire.

Thanks.
Alton: Salt;
Milwich: Handley; 
Fradswell: Hall; 
Leigh: Belcher
Cheadle: Lyemar
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts
Lisburn/Ireland: Herron/Heron
Suffolk: Robinson

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 10:53 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Aunty was Annie Eliza Salt born 1875 ish and married my Granddads brother Thomas Tidmarsh (born Clowne Derbyshire 1868) in Dilhorne Staffs in 1898. Apart from a website full of Salts in that area? I have little knowledge of her therefore will follow your threads with interest of your Salt family.

Dave

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave,

I am not aware of an Annie Eliza Salt anywhere in my tree.  If I start with Matthew SALT, born in Alton, he had at least 3 sons and 3 daughters, but I haven't been able to trace the sons as having married or fathered children which means the surname SALT would have died out in my tree.  The daughters married into HURST, TATTON, WARD and FYTTON/FITTON families in Macclesfield area.
But the search is just beginning in earnest now, so you never know what may turn up.

Cheers  :)
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
1861 census shows Charles aged 35 and John aged 38 living in Macclesfield - RG9 2579 folio 131 page 20.  Charles is the farmer and John his Ag Lab!!  Both now say they were born in Longton.  Can't locate James at the moment.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »
1871 census RG10 3673 folio 140 page 17.  Charles, now aged 53 is on the same farm, John has disappeared, James Hurst 20 and Mary Jane Hurst 16, nephew and niece are working for him.  Charles now born Eston, Staffordshire.

Sue
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes BumbleB, that's the curious thing.  
In 1881, I see both Charles as Head, unmarried, and John, brother, unmarried, living in Blakelow Bank, Macclesfield.  Both claim to have been born in Congleton.  RG11 3492/97 Page 23.

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
... and it's definitely my Charles, as his sister Sarah married Joseph HURST in 1843. 
They  had children Emma (1846), Matthew (1848), James (1851), MaryJane (1855), Sarah Ann (1858) and Florence (1865).

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have being doing the Tidmarsh family in Warwickshire, Derbyshire and have not done anything on the Stafford lot as its mostly post 1911 census stuff but my Granddad used to Yap about his Family from Staffs alot so I really should do. Buzzy BEE above has done so much for me already I don't like asking really.
Mind you! It cost me nettle stings, cuts & bruises in a graveyard in pellon jungle Halifax and one numb bum sitting in Yorkshire archives looking for a burial of the phantom of the apple (Grave)-yard at illingworth church Halifax and  ;D as a return favour. Great lady though as a real diamond but watch for the sting  :D ;D

I keep in touch

Dave  :D

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth