Author Topic: COMPLETED ... SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton ... COMPLETED  (Read 18100 times)

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SALT family - Alton/Goldenhill/Church Lawton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 February 11 01:19 GMT (UK) »
You are all wonderful  :) and make me want to cry with your enthusiasm and dedication.   :) :'(

I had always wondered where the "Jane Salt" was in 1841 Census as she wasn't with her husband Matthew SALT or 5 of the 6 children I know about in Macclesfield.  If the records state Matthew married Jane in 1843 then that explains her non-existence.  I did wonder if she was the Jane SALT I found in Alton, Staffordshire but now think that was a different family. 

So that fixes Jane SALT as being born in Lawton and her surname before marriage to Matthew could well have been WARD as Matthew's daughter Rosanna went on to marry a George Ward in 1855.  It's all about people and relatives you know and meet really, in the days before decent transport.  Of course I now realise that Jane is not my blood relative, as she is not the birth mother of Rosanna or Rose Hannah born about 1829.  I have a tapestry on my wall created by and with signature sewed as "Rosanna Salt, 1850".

There is no mention of a daughter Mary Anne being with father Matthew SALT in the 1841 Census when she would have been about 15, but she could have been a servant somewhere else.  I have not yet found her in any searches though.  She is certainly not mentioned in Matthew's 1852 Will.  So the baptism in 1827 and date of death in 1843 do fit.

So I really want to confirm that Mary Handley was the first wife of Matthew and the mother of the 6 children I know about.  That gives me 7 generations of women ending in my daughters. 

I live in Australia and will be passing through Staffordshire/Cheshire in July for about 3 days to do some research and take some photos.  Any advice on where I should go to minimise the paper chase would be much appreciated.  :) :) :) :) :)
Alton: Salt;
Milwich: Handley; 
Fradswell: Hall; 
Leigh: Belcher
Cheadle: Lyemar
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts
Lisburn/Ireland: Herron/Heron
Suffolk: Robinson

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 February 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
IGI extracted marriage record Matthew Salt to Mary Handley  11.9.1817  St Michael, Stone, Stafford.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 February 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Claire:  On your intended visit to Staffordshire and Cheshire, firstly I suggest that you bring your winter woollies with you - I know it's going to be July, but so what in this country!!  ;D

You're obviously going to want to visit Macclesfield, Prestbury, Gawsworth etc, which are all very close to each other, in order to view the locations etc and take photos.  But, and I may be wrong here so suggest you might like to ask someone on the Cheshire board, in order to research in the parish records you are going to have to visit Chester because, so far as I can see, that is the only location for the Archives.  They have a website - archives.cheshire.gov.uk which might be useful to you, and Chester is a wonderful city - I was born there  ;D ;D

Not sure what you want to do in Staffordshire, but the main Archives are in Stafford.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help to you.  I'd like to repay some of the kindness that I received when I visited Australia last year.

Sue
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 February 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bumblebee.  When I leave here in July it will be our version of winter which from memory is often warmer than your early summer.  I was last in UK about 20 years ago.

I suspect my visit to Macclesfield area will be short as most of the buildings have disappeared.  I noticed that the area where my 2g.gran lived and worked for most of her life is now row upon row or lifeless brick terraces.  No trees or greenery.  Very unimpressive.  The New Inn which she once owned was at 10 Park Lane and now appears to be a tree on a roundabout or some such road division.  Still that leaves me with Churchs, cemeteries and a general impression.

Things looking up in Staffordshire as there is a bit more interest following both maternal 3g.grandparents.  If they married in Stone, can I assume that the bride Mary Handley came from nearby?  Can't imagine that they would have been travelling too far from her home in 1817.

I would love to link up with someone who knows more about Stone.  I can't see that the St.Michael's Church records have been transcribed, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.  So hard from this side of the world to know where to look.

Again, many thanks to you all.   :) :) :)
Macclesfield area: Salt, Ward, Fytton/Fitton, Bradley, Hanson, Williamson, Tinsley, Corbishley, Potts

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Would you like me to look at the parish registers for Stone/Church Lawton etc?   I can always get to my local Archives in Lichfield - I have a bus pass (so no cost) and time!!  Just let me know what you would like me to look for.

It was usual for the marriage to take place in the bride's parish, but not exclusively  ::)  That would be just too easy  ;D

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 February 11 10:37 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB,

If you have the time to look through the Parish registers for Stone, that would be wonderful.  Apparently the Staffs Record Office do hold the marriage register for St. Michael's, Stone.  Please don't put yourself out.

Thanks

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 February 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
What immaculate timing - I'm booked in for Monday  ;D 

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire:

Matthew Salt of the parish of Stoke on Trent, widower, and Mary Handley of this parish, spinster were married by Licence at St Michael Stone on 11 September 1817.  Both signed.  Witnesses were Sampson Handley and Mary Hill.

I was able to look at the licence which did not give much more information other than Matthew was a grocer, and Sampson a miller.

Cheers
BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tapestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
BumbleB,

You are wonderful!  :) :) :) :) :) :)
This solves two questions and raises another - as always. ???

If Matthew was a widower then his (presumably) first wife must have died.  She was the biological mother of John born in 1816 and dare I suggest she may have died in childbirth or is that too much to assume? 
Matthew then married Mary in 1917.  John's half-siblings, including my 2g.grandmother, were the offspring of Matthew (born 1793) and Mary (born 1803).  The oldest of these was born in 1819/20 which makes Mary 16. 
This is a lot easier to understand than having a 13-year old Mary being the mother of John!

So many questions.  But you have given me a wealth of information to work with.  Clearly now I need to search for more details about Mary Handley's family as she is my 3g.grandmother.  So I must go to Stone in July.  I owe you a coffee.  You have made me so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you :) :) :)