Author Topic: borthwick /haswell marriage  (Read 9037 times)

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
borthwick /haswell marriage
« on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help i'm looking for the marriage of James Haswell and Isabella Borthwick not sure of the date around 1841 im guessing. cant find it anywhere  ???
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: borthwick /haswell marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Have you found them in any census's to determine their ages and where they were born as that would help trace a marriage if there was one.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
yes ive got them in the 1851 census living in chapel street  both aged 28 and i have james in the 1841 census  but i dont know which borthwicks isabella came from ive found a few different familys but untill i know her parents names  im stuck  i contacted the records office in berwick upon tweed and they couldnt find any record of there marriage i know there were irregular marriages but i wouldnt know where to start
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline April

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 11 23:54 GMT (UK) »
I think that Isabella Borthwick is the daughter of James Borthwick and Elizabeth Gordon. There are numerous family trees on Ancestry which show them with at least 12 children. Although both the mothers of James and Elizabeth are named Isabella there are no Isabellas appearing in the list of children. There is however a gap between John in 1820 and Thomas in 1824 which Isabella could fit into.
I also can't find a marriage for James Haswell and Isabella
regards
April

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi April
            This could be a possibility Ive looked at James and Elizabeth on ancestry and the names of the children are very much the same as James and Isabella's children they were Elizabeth1842 William 1844 James 1846 john 1849 David 1851 Thomas 1854 Johnstone Borthwick Haswell 1855d 1856 Roseanna 1859 d1872 James Jordan Haswell 1859 Isabella 1861 Jane 1863 there could be others but Ive not come across them yet !!,. I found James in the 1891 census but his wife was named Elizabeth?? James died in 1896, i found Isabella in 1901 census in the workhouse hospital were she died  could Isabella and Elizabeth be one and the same !!! .i think I'm going to have to delve into these irregular marriages although i dont have a clue how but I'm sure someone out there will be able to help . Thankyou so much for your help.
                         Regards Ann                                                                                                                   
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
hi Ann  :)

are these english records ?
i.e. northumberland not berwickshire scotland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick-upon-Tweed

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev
        Ive looked on ancestry at both English and Scottish census and found some of James and Isabella Haswells children on familysearch.org
                                                                                Ann :)
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann31,

Could you be more specific where these marriages took place and where childre were born?
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline ann31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beckey
                All the information that i have is that they were born in Berwick Upon Tweed ,  on the census it just says Berwick Upon Tweed  i think one of them said ecclesiastical district of Holy Trinity and on the familysearch the children's christenings just said Berwick Upon Tweed i don't have any information about the marriages . I cant find any marriage records for James and Isabella their first child was born in 1842 so their marriage year would be just a guess
                                                                         Ann :)
Haswell .Borthwick
Berwick Upon Tweed