Author Topic: Glengarry Co., Ontario families- Scottish or French  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Ranald the Calf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glengarry Co., Ontario families- Scottish or French
« on: Wednesday 02 February 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm a Glengarry County, Ontario researcher of many pioneer Scottish and French families.  My research publication sources are primarily Catholic, although I have a limited amount of Protestant information.  I have a developed understanding of the history of this county and I am willing to lend assistance to those researching families who may have originated from this Ontario County adjacent locales (i.e. Prescott, Stormont, Soulanges, Vaudreuil).
Scottish Mc's or Mac's from Glengarry Co., Ontario, also Gillies... mosty Catholic lines with some Protestant sprinkled in...  Also numerous French Quebec families.

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Glengarry Co., Ontario families- Scottish or French
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 11 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you can help me with a brick wall. In 1861 my gg-grandfather Hugh McMillan, lived in Stormont County, S1/2, Lot 30, Conc. VIII. The Belden Atlas has him listed as H. McMullen, living next to James & Sam Hesson. Hugh marries James daughter Mary Ann Hesson.

On all the census forms he only says he was born in Scotland around 1819. When he came to Canada I do not know. I thought he would want to be near fellow clansmen in Glengarry but with most land already occupied he had chosen nearby Stormont.

Ideally I'd like to find out when he immigrated and if he was related to any of the Lochabar McMillans in Glengarry and when he married Mary Ann. Looking at all the online records I cannot find any info on their marriage (Protestant).

Would you have access to any local records that may help?

thanks very much

Bruce

Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline Ranald the Calf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I did some poking though the few protestant sources that I own (St. John's Presb., Cornwall one on BMD 1833-1856 and another on on just marrriages 1857-1896, and a BMD transcription datafile on St. Andrew's Presb. Williamstown 1805-1845), but did not find anything of interest.  Excepting the second St. John's publication these date ranges would not fit.  No mention of the Hesson surname at all.  My Lochiel (Glengarry Co.) pub., BMD 1820-1884 has no mention of your family either.  I have a number of Darby MacDonald's pubs. on "strays".  There are five volumes (some from Stormont Co.) and again found no mention of Hugh and Mary Ann or the Hesson surname.

I'm sure you have searched ancestry.com fully?  The only documents of interest I found were "late in life" birth registrations for two of Hugh and Mary Ann's children... Alfred and Edith.  It did mention on these documents that in 1944-45 Alfred and Edith were the last two surviving of a family of ten children.  I did find James and Samuel's family in the '61 census... but could not find Hugh?  What years is Hugh enumerated in Ontario and how was his surname spelled?

I do not have access personally but have you researched the land registry for the lot number you've mentioned?

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Regards,

James

Scottish Mc's or Mac's from Glengarry Co., Ontario, also Gillies... mosty Catholic lines with some Protestant sprinkled in...  Also numerous French Quebec families.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it is right, but it is intruiging
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?oq=hesson&id=3283671&pageid=r&_charset_=utf-8&bcd=%C3%B7&scs=1&query=Mary+ann+hesson&Find=Search&mode=ALL&search=all

7. Stormont, G & D 04
Osnabruck, same, s/o Amos CRITES & Mary Ann MYERS, married ... Hugh McMILLAN (sic) & Mary Ann HERRON (Hesson?), married Lilian Grace ... o William MILROSS & Mary Ann RUPERT, married Mabel
homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/sdg04.htm

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking James,

The Hessons arrived in Upper Canada in 1842. The 1851 census has them living on Conc 5 W 1/2 lot 6 of Williamsburg, Dundas County.
Origin is Ireland and religion is Presbyterian.
The 1861 census has them living on conc. 8 lot 30 in Osnabruck. Mary Ann is gone from this census.

I think Hugh must have married her shortly before 1861 as the two of them show up in the 1860 US census for Madrid , N.Y. They were there from 1860 - 1864. Land records show Hugh purchasing the lot in Osnabruck in 1861 from a Francis Campbell.

Hugh's trade was a mason and he reportedly fell and permanently injured himself while working on a church steeple. He died 12Feb1893 in Grantley, Osnabruck.

The reason I thought of a Glengarry Lochaber connection is that I have a close DNA match to a documented McMillan from there.

VBAIN,

Arthur was the 10th of 12 children of Hugh and Mary Ann. Their children's lines are well documented.

cheers all,

Bruce MacMillan

Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline dymps

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 11 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
I read your post, and started to wonder if you could assist me.

I have been looking for information on my great-grandmother, Alexina Marie Duperron (the spelling changes from Duparent, Duparo, Dupperon, Duperon and many others). She was born to Paul Duperron and Albertine (Bertie) Laframboise.

Over the last 10 years or so that I have been hunting, I cannot seem to find too much in the form of anything on her family. I have recently found her parent's marriage records (married in 1888 in Alexandria). I have found records for their eldest son-Napoleaon (Paul) Duperron and the son they had after my great-grandmother, Alexandre. I just cannot seem to find any records (including at the Ontario Archives) of my great-grandmother Alexina (born in 1891).

The other bit of information I have been looking is the circumstances around the death of Albertine Laframboise. She died very young, when Alexina would have been a small child. Paul Duperron re-married Mary Jane McGillis (sometimes it is recorded as O'Connor) in 1896, and moved his family to Saskatchewan. Alexina; however, stayed behind at her maternal grandparents house-Francois and Mathilde Laframboise. Why she stayed with them I am unsure. Many people have died very young in our family-some do not make it to 40, including people in my generation born in the 1970s.

I was wondering if there might be anything in local archives about any of my families events. I live in Vancouver BC, so digging around locally is rather difficult.

Any information or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Craig Campbell
(great-grandson of Alexina Duperron)