Author Topic: R.C.A.F. identity tag??  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
R.C.A.F. identity tag??
« on: Wednesday 02 February 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Around 20 years ago I started collecting R.A.F. "sweetheart" broaches etc made from perspex, tunic buttons, pennies etc. started by two made by my father, for my mother, and at an antiques fair bought a silver oval identity disc, that came from a bracelet.
There is small decoration, and it is inscribed :-
R154516
Veysey R.E. 
R.C.A.F.
I assumed this was from someone in the Canadian airforce, so tried some 15 years ago to find the owner or living family and perhaps return the tag.
It was obviously made for someone, perhaps by family or girlfriend...not an official one, but despite contacting a number of associations I did not receive any replies.
The tag recently surfaced in my box of old jewelry, and revived my interest.
Can anyone help me with anyone who can help trace , or give information on service record etc. on the person on the tag?
Many thanks Sheila. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: R.C.A.F. identity tag??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila

there you go:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/details.asp?alpha=V&offset=950&LastPostData_ID=191236

It maybe worth contacting the Woodstock Branch of the RCL to see if they have any contact details for family.

K

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 February 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks folks...will try,
Sheila.

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks folks.The daughter of the name on the tag has been found, and the tag mailed to her, and it's on it's way back to the family. :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Excellent result...well done  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk