Author Topic: Cant find these marriages!!!!  (Read 2565 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Cant find these marriages!!!!
« on: Thursday 03 February 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have recently had a breakthrough on my Dorbon family history (hence my many posts about this family ;) ) and would really appreciate some more help.

I located two 'potential' family members - I had my suspicions so I ordered the death certificates which confirmed these people are who I thought they were.

However, the problem I have now is that I am unable to locate the marriages.

The first one is for Edward Dorbon and Sarah.  Edward was born 1811 in St Pancras.  At some point he married Sarah but have absolutely no idea when.  There is no trace of him in the 1841 or 1851 census and he appears in 1861 with his wife.  Edward was a farrier. In 1862 when Sarah died they were living in Regent Street in Westminster.

The second is for John Dorbon and Priscilla.  John was born in 1814 also in St Pancras.  His first wife Martha died in 1854.  He married again in 1872 this time to Hannah Wellingale.  Priscalla Jenny was his second wife. The marriage must have taken place after 1854 and before 1865 when she died.  Unfortunately, the family appear to be in the 'missing' 1861 Woolwich census.  John was a Pork Butcher and in 1851 and 1871 he was living in Woolwich and Priscilla died in Woolwich so I think its safe to assume the marriage also took place in or around Woolwich.

I have spent hours searching for both marriages without success and am beginning to wonder whether they really did marry.  I find it hard to believe they didnt as I havent come across one instance in this family where couples have not married, and why would John marry his first and third wife and not his second?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anne-Marie
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find these marriages!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 11 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Nothing for Edward at the moment

John married Martha Jacobs 11.9.1836 t Andrew Holborn

Witnesses were William and Rebecca Poy....

If you don't have him on the 1861 census - where did you get the info from that he had married Priscilla Jenny?  Was it from her death cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 00:47 GMT (UK) »
and before 1865 when she died.

A Priscilla T Dorbon died 1866 - the full GRO index confirms the T
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Thanks for your reply.

Martha was John's first wife who died in 1854.  The information about his marriage to Priscilla was from the death certificate. 

I know if is definitely the same John Dorbon as the occupation and address match on other records I have found.  I have my suspicions that there could have been another marriage after Priscilla died and before he married Hannah in 1872.  There is a further record of a marriage in 1867 for a John Dorbon in Greenwich.

According to the death cert her name was Priscilla Jenny - I think the T in the GRO is probably an error.  She died at the end of December 1865 and her death registered at the beginning of January 1866.

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for variants of Dorbon?
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Anne-Marie,
I expect you've already ruled this one out, but just in case:
Edward Darbon, not Dorbon.
Married at St Martin in the Fields Q3, 1853, Vol 1a, Page 607.  I realise that would make him over 40.
Unfortunately the possible brides are either Maria Carter or Harriet Cook, neither showing as Sarah.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

His first wife Martha only died 1854

Martha was John's first wife who died in 1854

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Maggie   His first wife Martha only died 1854

Well spotted!   note to self: please remember to read details in full before going off at tangent...

added Sun 06 Feb  actually, just realised..
It's John whose wife Martha died - it was an unlikely but not impossible marriage for Edward I found.    Mind you, his wife would have had to have died fairly quickly in order for Sarah to appear in 1861...
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 February 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone  :)

Thanks for all your replies. 

I have tried just about every variation of Dorbon I can think of - Darbon, Dorben, Dorbin, Dirbin etc but without success.

I am beginning to think that John and Priscilla didnt marry (just waiting for the other marriage certificate to arrive to see whether the 1867 marriage is also his!) but still wonder why he would marry his other wives and not Priscilla - perhaps she wasn't free to marry?

As for Edward and Sarah - I just cant work these two out ???  Where were they in 1841 and 1851 and why cant I find their marriage?  I'm even starting to wonder whether they left the country and returned again although not convinced this is really an option.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky with these two!

Thanks again for everyone's help - its taken me about  10 years to get this far, so there's plenty of time to find them yet :)

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent