Author Topic: Ernest G Moody - Montreal.  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Scapaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest G Moody - Montreal.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 February 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Just making sure as so many people think the 2 CEF attestation papers at signup ARE the records......Good luck with your searches. J.J.

Hello J.J.
              Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the valuable information that you have sent me. I will contact you at a later date, and inform you how I have progressed.

Regards.
Brian.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 February 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian...the Lovells Directory is mostly in English actually, it's just the index that's French. Just choose Série Principale and then select the date. Then choose Annuaire alphabetique.

If he was living on Wurtele and working at the Verdun Machine Shop he'd have had quite a commute, about 8 miles each way by bus and streetcar I think the Verdun machine shop was actually in St Lambert south of the river, so he'd have to cross the Jacques-Cartier Bridge.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Scapaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 February 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello China.
            Thank you for the information. re. Lovell's Directory. I will now retry to negotiate the records.
Using the search program the program that J.J. kindly informed me about, I have established that Ern. Moody was still working at the same company in 1859.
This is where the entries cease.

Thank you.
Regards.
Brian

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I had modified and added 1960 later where I found him to be at the same address...so you need to go on from there...He may have been missed one or two years from the directory...also he may have retired early. Did you write to the Montreal cemetery site?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 05:09 GMT (UK) »
If you do contact the Montreal cemeteries, you have to know what religion Ernest was. The Protestant cem is Mount Royal:
http://www.mountroyalcem.com/products_services/genealogy/index.aspx?lang=en-CA

You fill out their form, and they phone you. If you want the record, I think it's $5.

The Catholic cem is
http://www.cimetierenotredamedesneiges.ca/en/

I didn't find Ernest Moody in the Quebec parish records.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Scapaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello J.J.
             Having checked the Lovell's Directories. Ern Moody was still working at Patenaude Engineering in 1965. It would seem that this is not my Gt Uncle. Ernest G. Moody.
 You will recall that my parents informed me that he died in the late nineteen forties or early nineteen fifties.
I did write to the company that you told me about, but has yet I have not received a reply.

Thank you for the information, and help that you have given me. It is appreciated.

Regards
Brian

Offline Scapaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello China.
            Thank you for the information. re. Lovell's Directory. Following your detailed instructions, I had no problem located the information pertaining to Ern. Moody.

Regards
Brian

Offline Scapaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello China.
                     Thank you for the information.
I have already contacted The Mount Royal Commemorative Services. But not as yet received a reply.
It's a pity about the Quebec Parish Records.
Ernest G. certainly takes some finding.

Regards.
Brian.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
If the dates were correct, then unfortunately the family history of him having settled in Montreal was incorrect, unless he used a different forename? I didn't see him in the mid 20's or 30's when he was to have settled there, either, did you locate him in that time period?
Too bad as that is our most extensive directory, and we haven't anything for surrounding areas...... Perhaps more information can be found by asking more questions of aunts & uncles...Place of death, occupation?  Tough search otherwise..  Good luck with your searches... J.J.

Just looked at his cef signup and see he was an engine fitter  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=181496
He was also born 1884  ( Worsbrough Bridge, Barnsley, Yorkshire ) so see now that he'd likely not be still working in the 60's. I never thought to look at the signup before for his actual age...
Also could have looked for his entry in 1926 age 40
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/immigration-1925/001012-119.01-e.php?&sisn_id_nbr=667885
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com