Author Topic: Looking for family gravestone in Cathcart cemetery  (Read 5909 times)

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for family gravestone in Cathcart cemetery
« on: Friday 04 February 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping some one can give details or advice to help me find the location of my Grand Mother and Grandfathers grave in Cathcart cemetery, I do not know the lair number or area within the cemetery, if I can get the details I would try and find some one who could take a picture of the head stone.

My Grandmother Herbie Macdonald nee Robinson died on the 6th March 1936 and was buried in Cathcart cemetery and my Grandfather Robert Liddell Macdonald died on 15th January 1951 and was buried in the same lair.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Many thanks

Colin Macdonald.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family gravestone in Cathcart cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
If you contact either the cemetary offices or local council they will be able to tell you if there is a gravestone/marker.  Not all graves have markers. 

This would be the first thing to do before asking anyone to take photos, or to visit yourself. 
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 20:35 GMT (UK) »
If you can find the number of the grave,I'll take a picture for you as I have another one to take in same cemetery.Where do you live,I'm in Glasgow

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 February 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the contact. I stay in Dunoon and I will try and find out from the council or cemetery offices the lair number, I have my Grandparents dates of death and I know there was a grave stone erected so I will see what I can find out tomorrow.
Colin.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok,Won't be going till the weather improves,don't fancy walking round a wet cemetery!!!

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have now been able to get lair details. The lair is in the Linn section and is in section 2/E, lair No. 223. My Grandparents are buried there, Herbie Albertha Macdonald nee Robinson died 6th March 1936 and Robert Liddell Macdonald died 23rd January 1951. I know there was a headstone but whether that is still standing I don't know but if it is could you possibly take a picture of the head stone and a picture of the inscription. This is very kind of you to offer to do this for me and I am very grateful so just check it out when it suits you and let me know the outcome.

Very many thanks.
Colin. 

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 April 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondered if you got a photo?  I live nearby and can also visit if you've both been unable to.  Don't want to tread on anyone's toes, but thought I would offer since it's been a couple of months :-[ 
McAdam, Neilson, McGinlay / McGinley, Hayes, McIntosh

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi timrousbeastie, thanks for your contact, no as of yet I have not have any photos of the gravestone, if you are willing to take picts that would be a big help to me. sandyjose did say the picts would be taken when the weather improves and the ground dried out but so far the weather is still wet so if you are willing to visit and take pictures that would be a big help so very many thanks for offering.
Colin.

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi timrousbeastie I have received the pictures you took for me, they are much better than I could have hoped for so thank you very much for your kindness.
Best regards.
Colin.