Author Topic: 1851 Census - EVANS  (Read 3544 times)

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 Census - EVANS
« on: Sunday 17 April 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Searching for a family headed by Evan Evans (b. around 1817). 

He should also have daughter Ann(e) b.Dec 1842 and therefore should be 8 on the census day and also a son William Evans b.1843 so he should be 6 or 7 years old on the 1851 census.

Interested in any other details - particularly the mother/wife's name as I believe she died sometime in the latter part of the 1850's and therefore doesn't appear on later census returns that I have been able to find.

Thanks in advance.

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - EVANS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 17:29 BST (UK) »
....Forgot to say Evan Evans was born in Carmarthenshire as were the two children I mention.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Morganjr,
Do you know where in Carmarthenshire ? What was his occupation etc? It is almost impossible to find an Evan Evans  in the whole of carmarthenshire on the census if you don't know what area  of carmarthenshere he is in. It would takes days and days looking through all areas at all census pages in Carmarthenshire.
It's not as easy as just  putting in  a search of a name  like on a transcribed or a name indexed census search .  That's why you will probably  not find many answers to lookup requests on this board for the 61, 51 and 41 in Carmarthenshire if you don't have a lot of info to go on.

Plus getting the right one too. There are lots of Evans in Caramarthenshire  it's  one of those top names - tell me about it  :'( I can't find my "common" named  Ann  Davies  as a child ( and I know where she was coming from around the Brechfa region) - but there are too many of them,  but I don't have enough info on her to know which one it is.

Have you got Evan Evans and family in the later censuses such as  61 and 71? Does he put anything else for him and his childrens birth place besides Carmarthenshire?

If you know what part of Carmarthenshire , for example Is it Llanfihangel Ar arth ,  Llanelli , Brechfa , Llanwrda, Pembrey etc, etc ? . If you know what  the area in Carm he and his children were born , I will try and take a look for you in that  particular area for your Evan and  his children on my travels while looking around for my own lot , but otherwise it really is  near impossible looking through the whole of carmarthenshire for an Evan Evans and children. Plus I wouldn't know if I had the right family if you're not sure what  area he's coming from as the names you have are not that unusual for  the whole area of Carmarthenshire.

Best wishes :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and helpful comments.  Yes, all along I have had real problems with the common surnames in my family (evans, jones, rees, morgan, williams etc).

The family I'm trying to trace moved to Aberdare in the 1850's and I have found them on the Glamorgan census 1861 - by which time the mother/wife of the family had died.

I'm afraid that it doesn't say where they were born in Carmarthenshire but on a later census return 1881 - it does give Llandovery as the birthplace for Ann.

In terms of occupation, all I know is that in 1861 both the father Evan and the son William were coal miners but I'm not sure if that helps with what the father might have been doing 10 years earlier in another county altogether.

I suppose there is some naivity on my part here (for which I apologise) but I am relatively new to this game and thought it worth a try.  I can help with searches of 1841,51,61 of the glamorgan census in return as I have electronic versions.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'll try and take a look , I  may be quite a while though.

it seems as all these fall under LLandovery area :o :
 Llandovery -  Llanddausant
 landovery -  Llangadock
 Llandovery -  Llansadwrn
 Llandovery  -Myddfai ( & Talley)
 Llandovery -  Llandingat
 Llandovery - Llanfairarybryn
 Llandovery - Llanwrtyd
 Llandovery - Cilycwm
Llandovery  - Conwil

never know I may bump into my little  Ann Davies there too  ;D Brechfa isn't too far away from this region - it's like looking for a needle in haystack with some of my rellies.

I'll have a look and get back to you  :)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
not having much luck, I'm not even half way through  it.  So far no sign of them yet

They are not in Cilycwm, conwil caio, Llanddeusant, Llandingat ( including the town of Llandovery), Llanfair Ar Y Bryn

Surprisingly there are not that many Evans in Llandovery areas, it's Jones town  if I see one more Jones, Davies, Thomas or williams  I'm going to scream lol .   ;D

The only family I came across so far with all those names is this one in Cilycwm, but the ages on Evan and William seem a bit too far out to me.

LLandovery

district Cilycwm
Ho107/2470, enumeration district 3, page 12

street/place address
Penfedwfawr

Evan Evans age 46 Farmer
Sarah wife 40
David 17
Morgan 14
Catherine 11
Anne 8
Thomas 6
William 4
Mary 1

I've yet to check out   all these areas:
LLangadock, LLansadwrn, LLansawel, LLanwrda, Llanwrtyd, Myddfai, Talley

I will check those areas too for you when I get some more time. It  takes ages looking through all the pages  :)

Hope that helps you out a bit , you can sort of rule out  : Cilycwm, conwil caio, Llanddeusant, Llandingat and  Llanfair Ar Y Bryn,   some of the areas  I checked out around the region,  if nothing else anyway.
:)

Offline morganjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Cell - much appreciated.  Any elimination helps along the way.  A lot of the searching I have done (on Glamorgan)has been electronic - which even with names like evans makes life a lot easier.  Think I was a bit naive to assume that the same sort of resource would be widely available for all other counties.  I might have to re-think.

If you ever need any information from the Glamorgan area, be sure to look me up so that I can return the favour.  Thanks again. 

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:46 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for your kind offer, but no  proroblem, I  too have the Glamorgan censuses. I've exhausted the census years  for Glamorgan for my lot , and  traced them.

I'm stuck with quite a few of my  Carmathern  ones at the moment - I don't think they wasn't to be found

I will keep my eye out for your  Evan evans and family in Carmarthernshire  :)

Offline Evans dairy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Evan Evans
born 1816 Pantyfen Pencarreg
wife Hannah born 1823
son William born 1857 wife Margeret Davies Born llanwenog.
 Lived at Cwrt Farm Cwrt Newydd around 1890´s, my father David Evans born 1899 on this farm.
Have bits of the tree, looking myself as well. The farm is still in family hands. My great grandfather is Evan, Farmer,
Would like to help more, if it is the same one that you are looking for maybe we can assist eachother!
William Evans