Author Topic: Dating this photo?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Dating this photo?
« on: Friday 04 February 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I have these photos and  am trying to piece together who these people are exactly, this is in itself proving quite hard.
Can anyone tell roughly the date of these photos, not so much the first lady by herself but the one with the lady and child and child by herself.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Dating this photo?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:03 GMT (UK) »
That's a strange one Nicky.The child's clothing looks fairly modern but the lady dressed in an Edwardian style.Just my opinion and probably completely wrong ;D

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
That was exactly my first thought on seeing the photos George :D
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
And notice the whicker chair,   when did they gain popularity?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Not just me then oldtimer and that dog looks like it's a terrier crossed with a teddy bear :)

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:29 GMT (UK) »
If this photo is who they say they are then the child was 19 in 1924 making her born 1905 and therefore this would be 1915??? The child looks maybe 10?

I am baffled like you have said the two lots of clothes dont seem to go!

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:33 GMT (UK) »
The girl could have been wearing a hand-me-down  jumper.   Was there a shortage of clothing during WW1?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,just said they looked more modern,that's not to say they are,I'm no clothing expert.But by the woman's clothes I reckon your 1915 could be about right,possibly a couple of years earlier.Where's Jim or China when you need them.

George.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Pttthhhppttt, George ;D

The lady is dressed about 1910ish. Is there any printing on the backs? If so could we see them please

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull