Author Topic: North Wall Quarters, Pentonville Prison  (Read 2326 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North Wall Quarters, Pentonville Prison
« on: Friday 04 February 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census my great-grandparents and their two chlidren are living at 3L(?) North Wall Quarters, Pentonville Prison.  My great-grandfather, George HICKS, is a 'Warder Grade 1 in HM Prison Dept'.  Would this residence be inside the prison itself, or nearby?  In the Number of Rooms box George has written 'Quarters 3 Rooms'.  Of what would the accomodation comprise?

Are there records available online for employees of the prison?

Many thanks for any help.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: North Wall Quarters, Pentonville Prison
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
The old records are held at The London Metropolitan Archives

As for rooms, this would possibly be 1 Kitchen (but not to be counted if it is only a scullery, then it could be 2 bedrooms), 1 Living Room & 1 Bedroom - look at bottom of page by signature and it explains how the person filling out the form should account for the number of rooms they occupy.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
The old records are held at The London Metropolitan Archives
Many thanks.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The survival of prison records is very variable - staffing records have poorer survival than prison registers. The historic registers for Pentonville prison are held at The National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/criminals-18th-20th-centuries.htm

and

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?fldLettercodeRef=HO&fldClassRef=&fldSearchNumber=22838&fldInvert=0&SearchInit=6

I think that is about all surviving for Pentonville prison. I don't think anything is held by the LMA for this prison but check for certain.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suecoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census my great-grandparents and their two chlidren are living at 3L(?) North Wall Quarters, Pentonville Prison.  My great-grandfather, George HICKS, is a 'Warder Grade 1 in HM Prison Dept'.  Would this residence be inside the prison itself, or nearby?  In the Number of Rooms box George has written 'Quarters 3 Rooms'.  Of what would the accomodation comprise?

Are there records available online for employees of the prison?

Many thanks for any help.

I actually lived at 14 Northwell Quarters as a child in late 60s. They were flats for prison officers. I was too young to remember it but I believe it was a block of flats. 5 of us lived there consisting of 3 kids and our parents.