Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110528 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 23:31 BST (UK) »
The family of Benjamin Goodman and Olive Geary appear to fit with your information as they had thirteen children. All of their children were born in Flaunden Hertfordshire. I have received a family tree from another researcher re this Flaunden family and she confirmed also that we are not related. Joseph, one of the children born 1840 and George born 1853 would not be within my ancestor's age range. Benjamin and Olive's first born was William born 1838 married in 1864 to a Margaret Turner they had children James born 1867 Jane born 1870 Ambrose 1873 and Mary 1875. Jane was a grandmother to the lady researcher that contacted me.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
okey dokey i shall have a look anyway thanks :)
but my joseph isnt 1840 but 1887 -1917 born in rickmansworth like the rest and come to live in bourne end with his wife ...i have most my family tree names just trying to get the dates for the new ones that have been added recently ... they were all born in rickmansworth not flaunden and that information is from relatives and not from me having to looking it up ....but i will have a look though as you never know whats round the corner  :)   

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 July 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
I guess Caz that the 98 year old lady would have been born in 1914. My late father's grandfather was George Joseph born approx 1848 and he gave his father's name as James on his marriage cert. Still, it would be interesting to know from the 1841 census onwards where this lady's most recent ancestors were. Even more interesting would be to swab a male member of her Goodman relatives. I spoke to a volunteer researcher in Feb at the London event and she was married to a Goodman. She mentioned that she has discovered that Goodman is not the original family name. I know that there was a Russian Goodman naturalized in 1871, records available at Hertford Archives. Luckily I found an army enlistment for my ancestor at Westminster in 1871 otherwise I may have considered that possibility having not found any registered birth record at Rickmansworth. If all that isn't confusing enough eh. Good luck with your research and you never know we may connect somewhere with the elusive Goodmans.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 July 12 00:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I misunderstood you Caz and you are very lucky to have someone in your family to pass information like that on. I know that the 1840 Flaunden Joseph had a son Joseph born 1865 and a son George born 1867. I was thinking if the son 1865 had children himself etc. Of course the places may still not be quite right even if they did move out of Flaunden.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 05 July 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
This ladys grandfather george also has a father called james ...Shes my dads late fathers sister and shes one of the only ones left to know anything of her familys real past ....if there are any questions you would like to know anything i can relay them back to her ...
A swab will also prob be fine ...
I heard alsorts about goodmans also being jewish name ...but nothings realy set until you find it though ...it mustve been extremely confusing for you having not had much to go on to start with  :( ... lucky ive had relatives to inform me through a lot of my tree ...also with my grandfather on the war memorial by his old house and enlisted with the army from ypres memorial ... we are a very big family and been in these areas proberbly longer than most lol. ..but yeh the elusive goodmans we are lol :)

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 July 12 01:03 BST (UK) »
sorry just seen your other post ...no your correct flaunden wont fit ... we dont have 2 josephs in line ...we have james whos father to george and hes father to another george .junior george wouldve been 20 or 30 i reckon during 1st world war . ( i dont have a date for him yet )

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 05 July 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
hi,

can you put on the dates for your James goodman, george goodman(senior) and any information about the young George.

Also where abouts in Rickmansworth did they live. If you dont mind asking your 98yr old relative, does she know if any of the Goodmans were married to an Irish woman .

You never know you may just be related to rootchatter b.goodman.

Look forward to seeing your reply.

jackie

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
hi ...i have tried asking for more info on my side but no replies yet ...will be taking a trip to rickmansworth parish to get a look at proper records soon and will let you know the outcome .

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 16 July 12 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi 1783Caz, I hope that you have managed to get some Parish info at Rickmansworth. Watford also has Rickmansworth Parish records on film. You mentioned that your family have been in the area for generations. Another family that have also had generations living in Rickmansworth appear to be the Gristwood family. I know that there was a Goodman Gristwood marriage, not related to me as far as I know although may have some connection with you. I know also that there is quite a lot of military history with the Goodman families from Rickmansworth. You may find even more about your family from that aspect also. With the DNA it would have to be a male Goodman as I am going down that line as it is more accurate. I received the swabs for the gentleman who is willing to be swabbed and have sent them on to him to do the honers. I will have to take a break from that for now as it is so expensive £100+ and I am usually not so reckless just desperate at this stage. I also received a reply from the Catholic Archives in London and it appears that it would be a minefield to know where my ancestors had their children baptized. Not sure if you feel OK about answering this, please decline if you want to. Were all your ancestors Church of England opposed to protestant and/or any other religion. I know some religions used Joseph more than others as a male first or second name. Does your living relative know of any mixed faith marriages from further back. I am not sure what religion my ggrandfather was baptized into before marriage. He may or may not have been a catholic.