Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110509 times)

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #45 on: Monday 16 July 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
hi there ...ive not had a chance to get to Rickmansworth as of yet but if i can view it at watford then that be better for me thanks for info :)   ... Funny you should mention the Gristwood family as im at present looking into them as theres a very big possibility its our Georges mother (currently speaking to one of the gristwood relatives)  ....i am suspicious of all these Goodmans being in Rickmansworth all at the same time .Im thinking they are all related in some way or another ...cousins /neices/nephews the lot ...i happened to look at a few other family trees that have same marrraiges etc and to find there will possibly be an older sister Elizebeth  for my George of which could help me? ...but one of the family trees im looking at is very likely its loads of aunts /uncles etc .... Does your George have a middle name ? im am keeping my eyes peeled on my research and keep coming back to check on here for your info incase your George comes up like a cousin or something ...I dont know of any faith/religion my family wouldve had ... could you please advice of a good online site that you found quite helpful ? thanks :)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 16 July 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

If this is any good to you, James Goodman son of James & Sarah nee Hansted married Louisa Gristwood at Northwood Holy Trinity Dec 7th 1861. Their fathers were James Goodman Blacksmith & Joseph Gristwood laborer.

In 1861 Louisa was living with her Uncle Edward, James Goodman was also staying there as was 1 year old Elizabeth Gristwood.

James & Louisa's children were,

George Henry Christened 16th Nov 1862 Northwood Holy Trinity
Ellen christened 27th Mar 1864 Northwood Holy Trinity
Arthur christened 4th June 1865 Northwood Holy trinity
Alice christened 31st Mar 1867 Northwood Holy Trinity
Emma christened 28th Mar 1869 Harefield St Mary
Rosina born 1871, can't find a christening
William christened 8th Mar 1874 Northwood Holy Trinity
Albert christened 8th July 1877 Northwood Holy Trinity.

I think George was possibly the father of your Joseph caz, they lived in Croxley Green in 1901. Does that sound correct.

Hope this helps.

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you 1783caz for your reply. I agree with Maddie that the blacksmith does appear to have some connection with your family. Bless him he did end up in the work house WGH. Some other Goodman family members also ended up there. Whereas Issac (maybe Jewish branch)+ Goodman ended up in Leavesden described as a lunatic. I think also Louisa Goodman had a child out of wedlock. Sorry just remembering what I looked up in the past although haven't got dates etc. I think it was in the 1871 census. Watford Library has those all on film. You asked what I found helpful re sites to search. I found familysearch.org the mormom site useful. The 1881 census is good as a search on that site as it clearly shows the groups of Goodman families in Rickmansworth. I know an Edward Goodman also named Ted married into a gypsey family and someone on rootschat is searching that family already. I know also that there is a connection with the Goodman family from Water Eaton and the Wargrave Goodman family. James Goodman, who was a gentleman,  from Wargrave left a will giving something to his grandson. I remember reading a connection with the Emerton family. Equally there is also some connection there with Newport Pagnell. A member of Rootschat mentioned previously that a lot of the Goodman families lived near a town that has a canal. My ggrandfather's middle name was Joseph and in fact he had his church marriage recorded as Joseph although the government register had George. He said that his father's name was James. His son was also called George Joseph. My grandfather called his son, my uncle, George Joseph too. My brother called his eldest son George.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I mentioned this before but my great grandfather George Goodman had an Elizabeth Winfield in attendance when he died in 1888 in Rickmansworth at Bury farm. I tried looking up the 1881 census for Elizabeth Winfield from the Rickmansworth and Watford areas. I got an Elizabeth age 10 living at 6, Birches Yard, Watford. She would be approx 17years in 1888. Another Elizabeth Winfield living in Rickmansworth who was aged 48 married to a Gasworks Laborer. I was wondering if the older Elizabeth married a Goodman and she may have been a member of George's family. Does anyone know of a Goodman Winfield marriage. With the younger Elizabeth I vaguely remember that there was a yard in Watford with some connection to Goodman. If anyone also knows whether an Elizabeth Winfield worked on Bury farm or perhaps for Lord Ebury in some capacity.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
1783Caz this may be of interest to you. It concerns soldiers who died in the great war from the Naval and Military Press. There was a Joseph Goodman born in Rickmansworth who enlisted at Watford, residence in Rickmansworth. He enlisted in the Ist Garrison Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment. He died in India on 30/11/18. Rank A/CPL, Number 8074. Not sure if he was a relative of yours. Also in 1808 there is an article in the Watford Observer (online) written by James Inwood about a William Goodman who died following an attempt at poaching in Rickmansworth. I noticed that you mentioned a William in your family. Sometimes first names are repeated as in my family. Not sure if there is any connection to your family.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there ...i remember you mentioned Elizabeth Winfield i tried looking for her as well last week but found the same as you ... i cant believe how much lack of info there is on your george ...the mind boggles lol ...
I remember someone who got a few things wrong on our tree and had our George married to an isobella Dolamon (who was born Divapore ,India ) im not sure how this happened but might be worth checking her out .
Lol i saw that article on william goodman some time ago ...poaching other people fish and getting in a brawl about it lol ... at the time i didnt know much but now i have seen my Goodman family tree by relatives ive recently found and it prob is one of ours ( tut tut tut ) lol ... our tree is absolutley huge as many grandparents had about 12 kids and so on ...loads of same names ...theres a George on the tree born 1844
Do you know if your George had any brothers /sisters ?

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately I can't find any connection between Elizabeth Winfield, wife of William, living in Mill End, to your Goodman's, or any Goodman's come to that. :-\

Elizabeth Winfield was a Hawkins before she married in 1852, no connection there either, William & Elizabeth are still in Mill End in 1891. There's no mention of her being a "nurse" on the census but I wonder if she could have been someone who sat with dying patients.

The younger Elizabeth you found in Watford doesn't appear to marry & is with her widowed mother in 1901, still in Watford.

Funnily enough the Joseph Goodman who died in India that you mention was one of mine, actually my Uncle's Uncle, they lived in Talbot Road.

To many Goodman's in Ricky.......... ;)

If I find anything to help you out I shall be back.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

For notes pile . . . . .

I was just about to say
"Dolamon - keep in mind Dolamore/Dollimore (various spellings) quite a common surname around SWHerts"

Marriage 1891 Sep Watford 3a 819
Dolamon/Dolamore Isabella / Goodman George Henry

"A member of Rootschat mentioned previously that a lot of the Goodman families lived near a town that has a canal."
Yup, Me and it was Rickmansworth ;D

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks 1783Caz re your comments. You mentioned an 1844 George. I know that there is a birth cert for George Goodman on freeBMD under Watford 1844. There is probably a copy at Watford registry office also for George who I am almost certain is the son of James the Blacksmith. Sometimes applying for a cert knowing only one parent's name is enough. I obtained most of my certs at Watford and on looking at the certs they then specified the sub-districts and hamlets such as batchworth, rickmansworth etc.