Author Topic: George Slicker (schlicher)  (Read 8936 times)

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Slicker (schlicher)
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 24 February 22 15:36 GMT (UK) »
george may have had family roots in ireland long before he arrived. here a list of arrivals from the Palatinate in England in 1709:

https://www.genesearch.com/genealogy-records/1709palatines/june.html

Includes a George Schleicher.

Several hundred families from the Palatinate were resettled in Wexford and Limerick.

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 24 February 22 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Both George and his father Jakob were musicians went they? And they came from Palatinate. This would fit with the info in this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Palatine_travelling_music_tradition

Offline Bonbonnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 24 February 22 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Very useful info ty. What I’ve seen from the Alien registration form 1914-1922 (posted earlier in this thread) which was completed by Dublin Metropolitan Police is that George Schlicher arrived in 1871. Birthplace Frankelbach, Bavaria.  His date of birth was recorded as 6 June 1849.  So He was indeed from Bayern, Pfalz now part of Rhineland Pfalz or the Rhineland Palatinate.  He also registered 3 sons born in 1876, 1879 and 1883. Place of birth for all 3 is specified as Dublin. 

So that list of arrivals seems too early.  Is the list of arrivals from 1709 or just in 1709? And do you know of further sources detailing arrivals?  I’ve been searching but had no luck so far.  I’ve also been checking births in German records and found a couple of possibles in Bavaria but not in Frankelbach.

Of course any part of these records is subject to misspelling and dependent on correct facts being given and recorded etc which further complicates matters.

The list of arrivals

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 24 February 22 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Very useful info ty. What I’ve seen from the Alien registration form 1914-1922 (posted earlier in this thread) which was completed by Dublin Metropolitan Police is that George Schlicher arrived in 1871. Birthplace Frankelbach, Bavaria.  His date of birth was recorded as 6 June 1849.  So He was indeed from Bayern, Pfalz now part of Rhineland Pfalz or the Rhineland Palatinate.  He also registered 3 sons born in 1876, 1879 and 1883. Place of birth for all 3 is specified as Dublin. 

So that list of arrivals seems too early.  Is the list of arrivals from 1709 or just in 1709? And do you know of further sources detailing arrivals?  I’ve been searching but had no luck so far.  I’ve also been checking births in German records and found a couple of possibles in Bavaria but not in Frankelbach.

Of course any part of these records is subject to misspelling and dependent on correct facts being given and recorded etc which further complicates matters.

The list of arrivals

I think these articles might help explain how and why he ended up in Dublin;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Palatine_travelling_music_tradition

http://www.essweiler.de/cont3/geschichte/76-geschichte/wandermusikanten/itinerant-musicians-other-languages/178-the-itinerant-musicians

More the location of Frankelbach cf the other villages. He and his father were both musicians. His Dublin neighbour Henry Sheer was from Rothselberg.

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 24 February 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »

The list of arrivals

I don’t have any further info on the 1709 arrivals and clearly way too early for George BUT it may give context for why he chose Ireland if there were family roots there.

Btw it seems he was thrice married. Months after Rosanna died he married Kate O’Brien in Nenagh. but if you look on the 1911 census he is married to an Elizabeth an says they have been married for three years...

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 24 February 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
... or maybe not:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000180854/

The original entry has been amended and Elizabeth crossed  out. My guess is he was living with her as a common law wife. A bit of a mystery. Equally unclear is what happened to Kate.

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 24 February 22 22:24 GMT (UK) »

The list of arrivals

According to the 1914 alien register Henry Sheer was from Frankelbach but no mention of George being from there. It does though have a note added later re him being widowed and  wife being Elizabeth died 1925....