Author Topic: Deptford london  (Read 14495 times)

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deptford london
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Well I am not certain but when I looked up the birth for Howard his mothers maiden name is given as Jones and his father is Jones. I have been trying also to find a marriage between the Jones' and have had no luck. they resided in the Greenwich area and William died there.
This is harder than I had imagined.
who would have thought of so many Jones in Greenwich.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that she had a maiden name of Jones- however the other possibility is that he was born to an unmarried mother.

I can't see a death of a William B Jones that fits in that area pre 1946 either!

Are you sure that William's surname was Jones and it wasn't just Ada whose name it was and that they never actually married?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The b cert gives his fathers name as William Benjamin, carpenter and mother as Ada Grace Jones I will check with my friend again but that was what she gave me.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I think because the grandfather Howard, was born in Deptford and lived there with his father William Benjamin, it seems like it could be the right one from the 1911 info. I have just had some more info from my friend in Brittany, who says William Benjamin married Ada Grace Jones a milliner and that he died before 1945 so any ideas. Maybe I need to find a marriage certificate which will give me the occupation.

Raychel, I'm confused.  I've already indicated that the William Benjamin Jones that was born in Greenwich in 1905 was actually living on Warrington, Lancashire with his parents in 1911, so there's very little chance that they moved back there afterwards.   ???  Also, his mother on the 1911 census was not Ada Grace.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Nick, I've got Joneses too in my tree, and they are painful to research!  ::)

William Benjamin apparently married Ada Grace; she was not his mother.

There are some baptisms in Greenwich:

Blackheath Hill, Holy Trinity

bapt 24th January 1905; born 3rd January 1905
William Benjamin son of Benjamin and Sophia JONES, living 23 John Street; father's occ: labourer

bapt 6th December 1903; born 18th November 1903
Sophia Sarah dau of Benjamin Parry and Sophia Alice JONES, living 9 Northall Street; father's occ: soldier

bapt 21st July 1901; born 2nd July 1901
Louisa Mabel dau of Benjamin Parry and Sophia Alice Jones, living 4 Richard Hill; father's occ: soldier

Do these tie up with what you found in later records?

KR
Maryam

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I am presuming this Howard that you mention is still alive?

If his birth is down as Jones with a mothers maiden name the same, it is likely she wasn't married,as no marrieg toand Ada Grace can be found.

You say that William Benjamin Jones is deceased by 1946- do you know exactly when or where,because I can't see a likely candidate for that either.........did he died in WW2 abroad somewhere?
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, I have just sent an Email to the person I am helping. William was living in Deptford up until 1he 1940's his son Howard was also living there it seems they have all vanished!! William Benjamin Jones 1905 married Ada Grace Jones !!William was a carpenter and Ada a milliner. I am hoping I will have some info soon to go on.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Nick, I've got Joneses too in my tree, and they are painful to research!  ::)

William Benjamin apparently married Ada Grace; she was not his mother.

There are some baptisms in Greenwich:

Blackheath Hill, Holy Trinity

bapt 24th January 1905; born 3rd January 1905
William Benjamin son of Benjamin and Sophia JONES, living 23 John Street; father's occ: labourer

bapt 6th December 1903; born 18th November 1903
Sophia Sarah dau of Benjamin Parry and Sophia Alice JONES, living 9 Northall Street; father's occ: soldier

bapt 21st July 1901; born 2nd July 1901
Louisa Mabel dau of Benjamin Parry and Sophia Alice Jones, living 4 Richard Hill; father's occ: soldier

Do these tie up with what you found in later records?

KR
Maryam

Yes they do, but in 1911 the family was living in Warrington, with another son who was born in Warrington in 1909.  No mention of a daughter.  What I suggested to Raychel was that since the family seemed to have moved so far away, this does not appear to be the right family.  I suppose it is a slim chance that they moved to Deptford after 1909, but I wouldn't put money on it  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maryam

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Well, I wondered if one of the parents had died and the rest of the family had moved back to south London, but I can't find conclusive deaths for Benjamin or Sophia  ???

There was one more Jones/Rumble birth in Warrington after 1911; George J Jones, Sep Qtr 1914 Warrington 8c Page 476.

Benjamin Parry JONES married Sophia Alice RUMBLE June Qtr 1901 Greenwich Vol 1d Page 1782, so after the birth of first daughter Louisa Mabel (BPJ born 1880 Chester, married 4/4/01 from army records, re-enlisted 25/8/1914; No 92645; the three sons and Sophia Alice are listed).

Still, who knows if this is the right family?

Hopefully raychel's friend can give us some more to work with.

KR
Maryam