Author Topic: Wiltshire Militia - Napoleonic Wars  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiltshire Militia - Napoleonic Wars
« on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone who has researched an ancestor who served in the Wiltshire Militia can tell me the locations where the regiment was stationed during the Napoleonic Wars.

I have an ancestor in a different militia regiment whose movement I traced during this period using the muster rolls at The National Archives. The regiment changed its location quite frequently (but being a militia regiment never served overseas).

Offline Maiwand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Militia - Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Wintrip
Try the Regimental Museum on www.thewardrobe.org.uk    They have a militia section

Cheers
Maiwand

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Militia - Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone who has researched an ancestor who served in the Wiltshire Militia can tell me the locations where the regiment was stationed during the Napoleonic Wars.

I have an ancestor in a different militia regiment whose movement I traced during this period using the muster rolls at The National Archives. The regiment changed its location quite frequently (but being a militia regiment never served overseas).

If the muster rolls have survived at Kew, they give the location on a month to month basis.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)