Author Topic: which regiment  (Read 1394 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
which regiment
« on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
A british soldier George Goodman from Rickmansworth living in Clonmel Ireland where he married in 1875. He was no longer a soldier in 1879 when his daughter was born in Batchworth. What regiment could he have joined. He was born 1848-1850. 

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: which regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 00:14 GMT (UK) »
hi not an answer to your question but looking in the service records for g goodman i found this one for a george goodman born 1889 clonmel in the  royal artillery ( royal garrison artillery) this is in date range 1900-1913 could it be his son ?
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 11 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply. His son also George was born in Rickmansworth. He was apparently living in London In 1918. He may have been in Watford in 1891 in Queen's road.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 February 11 07:09 GMT (UK) »
If you have an address in 1918 you should try looking it up in the electoral roll at the local record office. Soldier's details are often shown.

Ken

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 February 11 10:24 GMT (UK) »
hi
having looked again at the records there is another g goodman born watford herts in the rfa wifes name mary but married in 1886 , no other records for a goodman born herts .

if you have any more info on him or his family post it as it may help to find him if pos
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trevor & Ken. There is no address in England given for George who was an older brother to my grand father Hubert. Hubert joined the British Army from Ireland and I have his military info where he referred to George as above. It is not certain whether George ever lived in Ireland or whether he became a soldier like Hubert and their dead father George. Hubert tried relocating George several years later but with no success. Two of the girls died although the first girl Mary seems to have disappeared after the 1881 census. I know my grand father lived with his widowed mother in Ireland according to the census before joining the army. I was hoping to get a date of birth in Rickmansworth for George, my great grand father, by finding his regiment.