Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87185 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say - Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Anne

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 February 12 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi gerry222, the individual rows all run consecutively however they don't necessarily run in order from row to row. The lairs are laid out at 3 foot centres so you just have to count the gaps in your final tally. What is the lair number? Walter. 

Offline gerry222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne for the information and the welcome ! i will look into that site and hopefully it leads to me finding the plot

cheers

Pocketslint/ walter the lair number is 1731, hope this helps

cheers

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look the next time I am up there, Good Luck, Walter.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 February 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Gerry/Walter,

Lair 1731 will be on the right hand side almost right up at the top (at the end of the back gardens beside the railings)

Have a look here: (The Scottish War Graves Project)
http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=139&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120&mforum=scottishwargraves

Go to page 9 and scroll down to you reach the photo of the stone of James Patrick Hughes, R.A.F. You'll see the railings in the background of the photo and once you find that stone, you'll be very close.

This is Section 13, Lair 1773, so the one you're looking for will most likely be in the row facing.

Good luck!!

Anne  :)

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 16 February 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne, I will check that out.  I couldn't help but notice that one of those war dead was 61 years! Walter.

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 February 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi gerry222, I found lair No. 1731 section 13 easily enough, it remains unmarked. I didn't have my phone/camera with me but the directions are quite simple if you are interested. Walter.

Offline gerry222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 17 February 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
:) Hi gerry222, I found lair No. 1731 section 13 easily enough, it remains unmarked. I didn't have my phone/camera with me but the directions are quite simple if you are interested. Walter.

Walter i would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of the plot. This is my mothers grave, she died 6 months after i was born, the plot was her fathers, it may seem odd that i am now looking for it, but we moved away, and now that my father has died, i really want to find it

Thank you to anne for all your efforts they are greatly appreciated, and walter thanks in advance

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 17 February 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry, not strange at all and I am more than willing to help. I live a couple of miles from st.kentigerns and I would be happy to show you however I don't know if that is allowed. Having said that it shouldn't be a problem. Enter st. kentigerns at tresta road, the memorial masons portacabin on your right and plan of the cemetery to your front. Go up the road to your left to the first metalled path on your right/opposite the third path on your left(It will make sense on the ground)you are now at the far end of section 13 to the right/section 13 being split in two by the main or central path(Consult the map)Lair 1731 is about 4 double rows from the top of the hill or railings as Anne said earlier, facing up the hill towards the railings. There is a prominent stone cross on the next row up. 4or5 lairs in is the grave of Alexander  Cormack, May 1946, this is marked on the side as 13/1733, next to that are two unmarked lairs, the second being 1731 next to a rotund headstone of Francis P. Mains, Nov 1944. To confirm the numerical direction in which they are laid out, the next numbered lair is, I think McGowan, numbered clearly as 1714. If you pace out the difference, counting from 1714 you will arrive back at the spot previously indicated, or 1731. They are about a pace between at this point in the cemetery. Any further help I can be I will be happy to oblige, I have just found my aunts brothers grave nearby from 1952, they too moved away. Walter.
p.s. I did see the grave Annne mentioned earlier as a spotter to 1731, there are quite a few military graves around there. WW