Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87212 times)

Offline gerry222

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #45 on: Friday 17 February 12 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry, not strange at all and I am more than willing to help. I live a couple of miles from st.kentigerns and I would be happy to show you however I don't know if that is allowed. Having said that it shouldn't be a problem. Enter st. kentigerns at tresta road, the memorial masons portacabin on your right and plan of the cemetery to your front. Go up the road to your left to the first metalled path on your right/opposite the third path on your left(It will make sense on the ground)you are now at the far end of section 13 to the right/section 13 being split in two by the main or central path(Consult the map)Lair 1731 is about 4 double rows from the top of the hill or railings as Anne said earlier, facing up the hill towards the railings. There is a prominent stone cross on the next row up. 4or5 lairs in is the grave of Alexander  Cormack, May 1946, this is marked on the side as 13/1733, next to that are two unmarked lairs, the second being 1731 next to a rotund headstone of Francis P. Mains, Nov 1944. To confirm the numerical direction in which they are laid out, the next numbered lair is, I think McGowan, numbered clearly as 1714. If you pace out the difference, counting from 1714 you will arrive back at the spot previously indicated, or 1731. They are about a pace between at this point in the cemetery. Any further help I can be I will be happy to oblige, I have just found my aunts brothers grave nearby from 1952, they too moved away. Walter.
p.s. I did see the grave Annne mentioned earlier as a spotter to 1731, there are quite a few military graves around there. WW

Brilliant stuff mate, i will be up there on sunday, thank you very much, you have saved me a lot of hassle

cheers

gerry

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 17 February 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
No probs Gerry, I will try and post a few phots before Sunday, good luck.

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 17 February 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
CORRECTION! Sorry Gerry, when you enter gate at Tresta road, take the road to your right, not the left as I stated earlier, to the right back towards Balmore Road, Walter.

Offline gerry222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 February 12 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Not long back from St. Kentigerns, we found the plot fairly easily thanks to your directions Walter. It says a lot about you that you put yourself out to help me in this matter, i cant thank you enough

cheers

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 19 February 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
What goes around comes around Gerry222, pass on the goodwill, good Karma to you and yours, Walter.

Offline DanCrum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 09 August 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
I would just like to thank Anne for the map of st kentigerns

My dad wanted to find his mums grave as she died when he was 8 (1945) and He and his brothers got scattered to different aunties

We found her records at  the Mitchell library and got lair numbers etc

We went to saint kentigerns today and asked the squad of gravediggers we seen who took us up to the area and we found the lair ,your map was spot on and so were the council boys

The only thing to look out for  when checking recordswas my dad said she was buried in lamb hill and I got the records for there ,it was only after looking at burial grounds in the library that I noticed that st kentigerns was on its own

My old mans now a happy man and is looking into a headstone

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 10 August 12 01:16 BST (UK) »
hi tricia55, the mitchel library had the records for st kentigerns on microfiche at the beginning of the year. I was looking for a lair myself at that time , (which I have since found) and was told that the records at that time were through in Edinburgh getting digitalised and would be available in that format after easter, now past. Contact cems and crems at Glasgow and give them as much info as you have i.e. full name, date of death, address  :Detc., and they should be able to help you quite quickly. In my experience they are very helpful and only too willing to assist. Walter.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 10 August 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
The rolls of microfilm are still kept at the Mitchell Library on the third floor. It's the actual Burial/Lair Owners Registers held by the Archives (2nd Floor) which were taken to be digitised.

The date for release and format seems still to be anybody's guess though!  ::)

In general, the microfilms only go up to the 1950's, so information on more recent burials would have to be sought from Glasgow City Council.

As regards 'Lambhill' ..... although there's 3 cemeteries all sitting side by side (Lambhill, St. Kentigern's and the Western Necropolis), they are commonly referred to 'collectively' as Lambhill as that's the name of the area in which they are located.

Anne  :)

Offline pocketslint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 10 August 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on the files Anne. It is also possible to get lair/section info for St. kentigerns from the parish records if you know which parish officiated at the burial. Some lairs were even bought on behalf of the parish and given to parishoners who did not have the means. WW.