Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87241 times)

Offline Salmacky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All helpful posters,
I'm trying to find out if my great grandmother has a headstone. She was buried at St Kentigerns in 1900.
I believe some of St Kentigerns Catholic Cemetery-Maryhill headstones were destroyed?? at some point,??
If so would anyone know if there were particular Lairs?
My great grandmother Susan McAdam was buried in Lair 4 /2167 I believe alongside 4 other family members. I would love to know if they had a headstone and if not I would wish to hopefully arrange one.
I'm aware I would need permission from the owner but not sure if the deeds have expired.
I have emailed the Council and await a reply,
Thanks in advance 

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Thursday 17 March 22 10:17 GMT (UK) »
St Kentigern's sadly is in a fairly poor state.  Many headstones are missing having been toppled either due to vandalism or for safety reasons.   I am not aware of the toppled stones being stored anywhere, but perhaps someone else on here may know more. 

There are still a lot of headstones in place, so it is possible a headstone may be there.  I assume the lair is in Section 4 and the lair number is 2167 ?    I checked the lair records on FamilySearch and there are 5 buried in that layer, with the first being April 1900.   If you are interested I can send you the details.

The cemeteries department will be able to locate the position of the lair, but I think you must have the lair certificate to have a headstone erected.

Andrew

Offline Bikerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Thursday 17 March 22 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I have visited St Kentigern's several times searching for family graves. With my ancestors, many have no headstones at all and for those lairs which do, they are broken or lying face down. The council does not remove broken or damaged headstones, they just ensure that they are not a hazard to visitors.

Finding the location of a lair within any particular section is no easy matter. The council do not provide detailed maps. In my experience, and this goes for all the other cemeteries I have visited, one needs to visit in person and ask assistance from the ground staff. I have always found grave diggers and groundsmen very helpful. If you are unable to visit in person you may have to rely on someone doing you a favour. Headstones and memorials usually have the lair number chiselled into the base somewhere. This can help to narrow down the search area.

Good luck.
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Houlihan/Hoolaghan
Farrell
Gordon
McElhinney

Offline Salmacky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 17 March 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andrew,
The details I was provided with from family in Ireland were Lair 4/2167 so I'm presuming the 4 is section four and the plot number is 2167.
I have found the records and my great grandmother was the first in April 1900 then 3 more great Uncles, I just can't work out one name, I think a great auntie, Ann or Annie but might be totally wrong.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Thursday 17 March 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Ann to me ?   The writing on those records is appalling at times.

Offline Salmacky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Thursday 17 March 22 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Yeah it really is hard to work that one out.

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Thursday 04 August 22 08:17 BST (UK) »
This week I started my next project. Im going to photograph and transcribe every visible headstone (with the exception of fairly new graves) in this cemetery. I have started a Facebook Page (St Kentigerns Cemetery, Lambhill, Glasgow) to report my progress. I have completed section 16 (mostly opened in 1970's) and have photographed all of section 1, part of 2 and a small part of three.

My intention is photograph all of the sections by the end of the summer and use the winter months to transcribe the headstones and place them on an excel spreadsheet so as to be searchable.

Section 16 produced just over 1,000 names.
McKay - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Quinn - Letterkenny /Coatbridge & Airdrie
Delaney - Airdrie
Shannon - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Johnston - Airdrie & Coatbridge
O'Brien - Dublin / Liverpool
Dunn - Liverpool

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Thursday 04 August 22 20:24 BST (UK) »
That is a major undertaking, Chris! Good luck with it all  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WeeFram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Down the rabbit hole we go....
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Monday 15 August 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris5856,

Can I ask how awkward St Kentigern's is to navigate if you've never been? I have recently discovered I have various family members buried there ranging from the 1960s to 2010 but not sure whereabouts they are buried within the cemetery.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your project.  :)

Does anyone know if there's a section 20?
Thanks
Gillies + MacDonald & Gibb + Frame
McMeekin + Dewar & Brown + Donoghue
McDonald & Hardie/Hargie + Roberston
Pilling + Beattie & Graham + Marshall