Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87244 times)

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris5856,

Can I ask how awkward St Kentigern's is to navigate if you've never been? I have recently discovered I have various family members buried there ranging from the 1960s to 2010 but not sure whereabouts they are buried within the cemetery.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your project.  :)

Does anyone know if there's a section 20?
Thanks

Hi there. Its easy enough. The roads are in good condition around it and that map is a great help for knowing your way around. If you give me some names, ill see if ive come across them?
McKay - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Quinn - Letterkenny /Coatbridge & Airdrie
Delaney - Airdrie
Shannon - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Johnston - Airdrie & Coatbridge
O'Brien - Dublin / Liverpool
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline WeeFram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Down the rabbit hole we go....
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.

I have Alexander & Mary Ann MacDonald who are in section 20 and Angus, Catherine & Angus McDonald who are in section 18 from what I found on the familysearch lair records. I also have a Donalda & John Jenkins who are buried in St Kentigerns but not sure if they are in beside Alexander & Mary as they died in 2008 & 2009 and not found any lair records for them.

Do you or anyone else know what the depth of opening refers to? is it the number of bodies it can hold or something totally different? Also, are lair records available to view for deaths in the 2000s?

Thank you
Gillies + MacDonald & Gibb + Frame
McMeekin + Dewar & Brown + Donoghue
McDonald & Hardie/Hargie + Roberston
Pilling + Beattie & Graham + Marshall

Offline Billy searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris5856,

That’s some task you’ve undertaken but I’m sure you’ll be getting a buzz out of it, through helping others who are too distant from Glasgow to be able to visit the cemetery in person.

I have family in St. Kentigern’s and would kindly ask if you could post a picture of their headstone if they have one and you come across them in the process of your project.

I have a Robert Docherty and wife Sarah (nee Duffy) in Section 2 Lair 2058, buried 1895 and 1888 respectively. I also have a George Lochrie in section 2 Lair 2587, buried 1906. I am not sure if there will have been headstones at either grave as the family will have been fairly poor but much appreciated if you could confirm if you have found any record of them in your completed Section 2 or if there is no headstone in place.

I also have the following in St Kentigern’s and would be grateful to hear if any readers exploring the various sections below come across any information that would help me.

Section 4 Lair 267 Henry Hughes buried 1921
Section 9 Lair 2573 Robert Docherty and wife Isabella (nee Ferguson) buried 1932 and 1940
Section 10 Lair 651 Robert Girvan and wife Annie (nee O’Hare) buried 1945 and 1932
Section 22 Lair 1430 William Docherty and wife Mary (nee Girvan) buried 1980 and 1974

I live in England now and haven’t had the chance to get up to Glasgow to search for myself.

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 25 September 22 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris5856,

That’s some task you’ve undertaken but I’m sure you’ll be getting a buzz out of it, through helping others who are too distant from Glasgow to be able to visit the cemetery in person.

I have family in St. Kentigern’s and would kindly ask if you could post a picture of their headstone if they have one and you come across them in the process of your project.

I have a Robert Docherty and wife Sarah (nee Duffy) in Section 2 Lair 2058, buried 1895 and 1888 respectively. I also have a George Lochrie in section 2 Lair 2587, buried 1906. I am not sure if there will have been headstones at either grave as the family will have been fairly poor but much appreciated if you could confirm if you have found any record of them in your completed Section 2 or if there is no headstone in place.

I also have the following in St Kentigern’s and would be grateful to hear if any readers exploring the various sections below come across any information that would help me.

Section 9 Lair 2573 Robert Docherty and wife Isabella (nee Ferguson) buried 1932 and 1940
Section 10 Lair 651 Robert Girvan and wife Annie (nee O’Hare) buried 1945 and 1932
Section 22 Lair 1430 William Docherty and wife Mary (nee Girvan) buried 1980 and 1974

I live in England now and haven’t had the chance to get up to Glasgow to search for myself.

Im afraid I did not come across Robert & Sarah Docherty. So far Ive either not photographed or have not come across the names you ask for. I will look out for them when I do. Chris
Delaney - Airdrie
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 25 September 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.

I have Alexander & Mary Ann MacDonald who are in section 20 and Angus, Catherine & Angus McDonald who are in section 18 from what I found on the familysearch lair records. I also have a Donalda & John Jenkins who are buried in St Kentigerns but not sure if they are in beside Alexander & Mary as they died in 2008 & 2009 and not found any lair records for them.

Do you or anyone else know what the depth of opening refers to? is it the number of bodies it can hold or something totally different? Also, are lair records available to view for deaths in the 2000s?

Thank you
Im not sure what the depths refer to. Ive not come across the jenkins yet. Ill keep a look out for the names you mention and will be in touch if I come across them. Chris
Delaney - Airdrie
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline WeeFram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Down the rabbit hole we go....
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Sunday 25 September 22 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, i have since learned that the Jenkins members are buried in Sighthill Cemetery. I couldnt find a stone or marker for either MacDonald & McDonald members in St Kentigerns but definitely buried there.

Thanks
Gillies + MacDonald & Gibb + Frame
McMeekin + Dewar & Brown + Donoghue
McDonald & Hardie/Hargie + Roberston
Pilling + Beattie & Graham + Marshall

Offline Billy searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 25 September 22 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris5856,

Im afraid I did not come across Robert & Sarah Docherty. So far Ive either not photographed or have not come across the names you ask for. I will look out for them when I do. Chris

Thanks Chris

Offline MichaelSerchio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Thursday 12 January 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I just wanted to say thank you as some of the maps and other advice on this thread have proved very helpful. My grandparents and great-grandparents plus a number of other close relates are buried in St Kentigern's and I've been able to locate approx 20 graves (approx 50 relatives total) and document their locations. All still have headstones although some of the older ones aren't looking great.
I've recently discovered a my great-grandfather's first wife (not my great-grandmother) was buried in Lair 992 in Section 1, buried 28 Sep 1898. I am hoping to get a chance to visit the cemetery soon to see if a headstone still exists but I'm not sure how hopeful I am of finding one after so long, or even being able to locate the lair if there are few remaining stones in the area.

Does anyone have much knowledge of the layout of Section 1 and might have suggestions towards finding Lair 992?

Michael

Offline MichaelSerchio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Friday 20 January 23 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Just following up on my last post. I was able to track Lair 992 to approx co-ordinates 55.89923 N 4.27393 W, looking down the hill into the cemetery. Sadly, there was no headstone. The nearest intact headstone on the left was 984 though it has fallen. The nearest standing on the left was 983. The nearest intact headstone on the right was 1013 though it has fallen. The nearest standing on the right was 1016.

Overall, I have found 60 relatives buried in 19 lairs in the cemetery, 16 of which have headstones.