Author Topic: Sullivan & Roche, possibly in Skibbereen  (Read 4386 times)

Offline caterpillar20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sullivan & Roche, possibly in Skibbereen
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
No idea if anyone will be able to help, but I have finally tracked down a confirmed Irish ancestor (after 2 years of frustrating research).

Thomas Sullivan married Jane Roche at guess around 1835. They had two sons Edward (b ca 1836) and Patrick (b ca 1841) before moving to London (from when I can follow their trail). Family myth suggests we have roots in Skibbereen, so I'm hoping that there might be some records somewhere that I could check the relevant marriage and baptisms... Any help anyone can give on this would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan & Roche, possibly in Skibbereen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
do you know what religion the families were ?

Many RC parish records for south west Co. Cork are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie

See : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline caterpillar20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 11 16:21 GMT (UK) »
They were RC, but I haven't been able to find any record of them at www.irishgenealogy.ie

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 04:18 GMT (UK) »
A Thomas Roche is in the Abbeystrowry tithe applotment, in Coronea (probably Skibb town); and an Owen Roach (Roche) in Fanlobbus tithe applotment, in Coolsnaghtig.  Haven't spotted any Roches in Castlehaven, Drinagh, or Caheragh. 

Good news is that there is one Thomas Sullivan in Russagh, just outside of Skibb, in Abbeystrowry TA.

There is a known gap in church records online starting around 1837.  Wait until more info comes online and maybe something will turn up.

You can look at the TA transcriptions here if you like.  This is turning out to be a multi-year project with many parishes in the pipe.
http://www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/titheapplot/

If you're really impatient, Skibbereen Heritage can do a church record lookup for you. 
http://skibbheritage.com/
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline BrissieBabs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Caterpillar20

A few years back, I requested a 1870 baptism record from the Skibbereen Heritage Centre for my g-grandfather Denis Sullivan.  It showed his father, John Sullivan, and his mother Mary, whose maiden name was Roche.  They were born 1836 & 1835 respectively. 

The family turned up in the 1881 census in Swansea, Wales. 

I'm guessing most of the Sullivan's back then in Skibbereen were related, so I'd say there's a good chance we're related - though somewhat distantly. :)

Please let me know if you've found out any more about the Sullivan's or Roche's from Skibbereen.

Offline Tiopeal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline William L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:57 BST (UK) »
Maragret O'Sullivan married Richard Lancer and they were from Schull, Cork Ireland.  Irish maps call it Schull, US maps call it Skull you can find Richard Lancer on rootsweb.  Hopes this helps

Offline Deb13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 September 21 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, my husband's family have a Roche and Sullivan marrying.  John Sullivan born 1830's and Mary Roche borne 1830's. Do you have a connection to this family please as I am trying to find out more information about his ancestors.  Thanks

Offline Deb13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 September 21 00:16 BST (UK) »
Brissie Babs - I have a connection to Mary ROche and John Sullivan.  Please get in touch. Thanks