Author Topic: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.  (Read 53031 times)

Offline mackelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pringle Redpath
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 May 10 00:40 BST (UK) »
I too am in Calgary. A Redpath links to my Cochrane family. Pringle Redpath b. 1833 Melrose married in 1851 to Andrew Lamb b.1828 Melrose.  A daughter of theirs - Isabella b.13 Sept 1855 married a Thomas Cochrane.  Thought I'd pass this along.  M

Offline Racer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: CEMETERIES,Hawick Rox.
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
I used to live in Chesters cottage, Southdean. My grandparents lived there before me! I am also a Rae!!!

Offline GoudieDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
I too am in Calgary. A Redpath links to my Cochrane family. Pringle Redpath b. 1833 Melrose married in 1851 to Andrew Lamb b.1828 Melrose.  A daughter of theirs - Isabella b.13 Sept 1855 married a Thomas Cochrane.  Thought I'd pass this along.  M

I have these people in my Goudie Family. Pringle and Andrew Lamb had four children - the youngest Elizabeth born in ca 1861 married  Bruce Goudie 9th Jun 1876 in Le Bons Bay (Lyttelton) New Zealand - she was 15 and he was 39 - so from her age I assume that she migrated with her parents to New Zealand -but I haven't been able to find any record. Do you know any further details of the Redpaths or the Lambs?

Thanks David Goudie

Offline mackelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Redpath/Lamb/Cochrane
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
David - Thanks for the info on the Goudie family. I have info on the descendants of Isabella the 2nd eldest daughter of Andrew & Pringle Lamb.  I'm unsure where the Elizabeth you refer to was born (ca?) doubt you mean Canada. Do you have the names of the other two children of the Lamb's I have Isabella's birth record stating that at her birth in 1855 there was 1 living son and 1 deceased daughter. Knowing that some of the Lamb's went to NZ explains why some of Isabella's children did as well. I am unaccustomed to these forums so not sure how to get what info I have to you, where are you located?  Regards, Marlene

Offline dahwong

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Andrew Lamb & Pringle Redpath
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlene

I was interested in the exchange between yourself and David re Pringle and Andrew as they are also my ancestors. They migrated to New Zealand in 1874 and arrived at Lyttleton aboard the Canterbury on 1 Sept 1874. She sailed from Glasgow on 4 June of the same year.
Only Charles and Elizabeth accompanied them. Their two other surviving children remained in Scotland.
The Lambs had five children: John b. 29 Oct 1851, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland; Pringle b. abt 1853 (died as an infant and we are still working on tightening up the actual death date), Melrose; Isabella b. 13 Sept 1855, Melrose; Charles b. 2 Mar 1858, Kelso, Rox, Scotland; Elizabeth (aka Betsy) b 5 Dec 1860, Kelso. Elizabeth is my great grandmother.
I am currently actively pursuing research on both the Lamb and Redpath lines and would be happy to learn anything you can add, with a view to sharing reciprocally. I am in New Zealand. Regards Deidre

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hawick had 5 graveyards not 4

there was Old Wilton Graveyard was next to Old Wilton Church (no longer there - the graveyard was cleared a few years ago but some newer stone were saved and are on the grassy area opposite new Wilton church (est early 1900's)).  My GGG Grandfather William Reid was sexton of the old church.  try the Hertiage Hub or Scottish Borders Council Burial/Graveyards Dept.
 for info on the lair books.

Also St Mary's graveyard was altered to re-route a road many years ago and bodies/stone were moved. try the local council for info. and state the alteration and you should get more help.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 February 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »

I have this couple who should be in one of the old cemeteries in Hawick.

James Atkin/Aitken born 1735 wife Agnes Scott born 1735.

They were married 13 th August 1756 in Hawick and their last child born 1778.

Has anyone seen their grave or know anything about them.

I live in Australia  .

Norma

Offline Stephen B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 December 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Found my ggfather diary and my gfather has put an entry in say that Andrew Ballantyne funeral was at Wilton Cemetery, however can't find any confirmation of this on line.

Go to Hawick next weekend so any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Budge

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hawick had 5 graveyards not 4

there was Old Wilton Graveyard was next to Old Wilton Church (no longer there - the graveyard was cleared a few years ago but some newer stone were saved and are on the grassy area opposite new Wilton church (est early 1900's)).

Yes indeedy. Lots of my ancestors were buried there. The legible gravestones were surveyed by the Hawick Archaeological Society in the 1930s and published in their transactions.

The other day I saw for the first time a photo of what the old church and graveyard looked like, before it was cleared. It's on the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland website. I knew the photo existed, but the previous time I looked it hadn't been digitised yet, and I hadn't quite summoned up the enthusiasm to order a copy. Now it's online. See here.

I used to walk across that site every day on my way to and from Wilton Primary School in the 1980s. The church site and gravestones were cleared in the 1950s.