Author Topic: Napoleon War: Who were James & Rebecca Maggs  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Napoleon War: Who were James & Rebecca Maggs
« on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Searching for the birth of James Maggs; marriage and surname of his wife Rebecca
The following is known

1796 James Maggs Private in the First Regiment of Foot Guards at Westminster

1803 Promoted to Sergeant in the First Regiment of Foot Guards

1808 May 29 William son of James and Rebecca Maggs, a soldier's child baptized at Deal, Kent. Note the 1851 census shows William born in Chatham. The Guards had depots at Deal and Chatham.

1808 June 24 Sergeant James Maggs in His Majesty's 1st Regiment of Foot Guards, commanded by Lt. Col. Burnaby; the entire company was overseas. The regiment took part in the Corunna campaign; all regiments suffered heavy losses. The escape of the British Army at Corunna was "Dunkirk" of the Napoleonic Wars. The men were in poor condition when the returned to England.

1809 January 25 1st Regiment of Foot guards arrive back at Portsmouth.

1809 March 2 Muster rolls show Sergeant James Maggs dead.

1811 April 29 Rebecca married John Thompson Private in the First Guards at
Westminster

1841 Westminster Census Rebecca Thompson, a widow, formerly Maggs gives age as 55 not born in the county.
1847 Rebecca Thompson died in Westminster; age on certificate 63.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Napoleon War: Who were James & Rebecca Maggs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
As he died in service the War Office would have destroyed his record. However the Guards Regiments appear to have copies. I don't know how far they go back, and it will cost you £20/30 to find out. The Archives are in Birdcage Walk.

On another tack there was a Daniel Maggs discharged from 1st Foot Guards in 1788. He was born in BUCKLAND, Somerset, so you should consider researching this area for James if you cannot find his records.

Daniel may be James' grandfather. Daniel's parents may be Daniel and Honour White whose marriage is on the IGI in Ansford, Somerset.

The 1st and 3rd Battalions were in Deal only from January 1808. You need to go back to the muster for 1807 to see where the companies serving at home where. It was probably in or around London. So that is where they would have been married.

Ken

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
9 February 2011
Ken
Thank you for your quick response and suggested leads to follow; it is most appreciated.

The Guards Museum website, although providing a telephone number, recommends writing to the Regimental Archivist of the Grenadier Guards at Wellington Barracks for details of personnel associated with the regiment in the past. I will do that.

I have been thinking about the statement in your response "The 1st and 3rd Battalions were in Deal only from January 1808."
Your knowledge is obviously broad on this subject. Did this mean that the first time the 1st and 3rd battalions in Deal was January 1808? I ask this question for clarification because website http://www.barham-kent.org.uk/Napoleon.htm shows that the first brigade of Guards (1/1st Guards and 3/1st) left Chatham in July 1804 marched to Barham Downs, where they stayed until October, and then they went to the Deal barracks.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding Daniel Maggs. I will pursue it.

Kind regards
Theodorick

Offline eecs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Theodorick,

William Maggs was my great x 3 grandfather. I can find him in the 1851 census as you said showing he was born in Chatham Kent. I couldn't find out any more info on William , so i sent off for his marriage certificate , but his and his brides Fathers names are left blank ! so i was none the wiser.
I saw your post just in a google seach and was wondering how you made the link from James and Rebecca being William parents ? as i can't find any documents. I see you have William' baptism records from Deal, where did you find them , and have you got anymore info on William ?
Regards
Emma

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma,
Thank you for your query. It is several decades ago that I made the link with William Maggs and James Maggs. The following is from memory without consulting my records because I want you to have a quick response. William Magg's eldest daughter Kate Eliza b1842 in the 1851 census is staying with William and Mary Ann Bassett nee Maggs who is William's younger sister. Mary Ann Maggs' birth was never registered. The marriage certificate of William Bassett and Mary Ann Maggs of 1849 gave her father's name as James Maggs, a soldier. Thus making the connection. The baptism record of William Maggs was found by searching the parish register at Deal, which reads "Baptised 29 May 1808 William son of James and Rebecca Maggs - a soldier's child."
Further subsequent information solidified the relationship between James and William.
I am descended from William's only son Joseph Henry, which of William's children are you descended from?
Emma I hope this helps. I look forward to hearing from you.
Theodorick

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
9 February 2011
 "The 1st and 3rd Battalions were in Deal only from January 1808."
...Did this mean that the first time the 1st and 3rd battalions in Deal was January 1808?

Just found this thanks to Emma bringing it back to the top. They were also at Deal from November 1804 to September 1805.

As an aside. The officer in charge of a company was a Captain. In the Guards regiments a captaincy cost the same as a Lt Colonelcy in a infantry line regiment. So Burnaby was a Lt Colonel in the army, but only a Captain in the Grenadiers. You will often see Capt. (& Lt Col). In 1811 he bacame a Lt Col. (& Colonel).

Ken

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Ken
Thank you for the information
Theodorick

Offline eecs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 May 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Theodorick,
Thanks so much for your reply, this has opened up so much more on my family tree.

Firstly i didn't know that Kate Eliza was a daughter of William and Sarah Maggs ! As she is never recorded at the home in the census. I have found her birth certificate now, and from a tree on ancestry.co.uk, see that she emigrated to Australia and married and died in New Zealand.
 Yes, i had William in the 1841 census living with a Mary Ann Maggs, and figured she was his sister, as she is also a witness on Willaim and Sarah's marriage certificate which  have.
After reading your posts yesterday searched for Rebecca Thompson and there she is in the same house as William and Mary Ann in the 1841 census ! also with a younger Rebecca Thompson.
After your post , i find Mary Ann with William Bassett and sisiter Rebecca Thompson and niece Kate E Muggs (sic). So yes, that's brilliant
Until today i had no idea what ever happened to Mary Ann or that kate Eliza was the eldest child.
Right i am on the case with you now re James and Rebeca's beginnings and family...
ManyThanks
Emma

Offline eecs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 May 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Theodorick,
Yes, i too am related from Joseph Henry Maggs my great x 2 grandfather, his eldest daughter Rose Maggs 1873-1924  was my great grandmother, how about you ?
Emma