Author Topic: Napoleon War: Who were James & Rebecca Maggs  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Napoleon War: Who were James & Rebecca Maggs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 May 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Emma
Thank you for your replies and the information. You are probably aware Rose Maggs was born in Netley Street in St Pancras. Netley Street used to be adjacent to Robert Mews where Rose's mother was born. Both streets connected with Hampstead Road. There were stables in Robert Mews and Rose Maggs' maternal grandfather James Davis was a hostler.
Did you know Rose Maggs' first son in law died with Lord Kitchener when HMS Hampshire was sunk in 1916?
I would appreciate if you would send me the information on Kate Eliza Maggs; I did not know she had emigrated.
I am descended from Joseph Henry's second to youngest daughter, with whom Joseph Henry lived in the years just prior to 1914.
I am sure we both have much information that we could share.
Kind regards
Theodorick

Offline eecs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Helo Theodorick,
Tha sk for that, Yes i knew about James Davi(e)s being an Ostler  but struggle to find much about him or his wife ELizabeth , as their names are pretty common, and i am still searching for info on them and any of their children apart from Eleanor who married Joseph Maggs.
The info about Kate Eliza Maggs is on a public tree on  ancestry.co.uk, it is very basic but states Kate married one John Forward Kelly 1821-1900 born Dublin in Melbourne Australia in 1864, they had atleast one son John Douglas Kelly 1867-1947 born Victoria Aus. and died Auckland NewZealand. The family does continue on the tree , so there are some relatives there. I will email the tree owner and see if they have any documents re Kate's  emigration or marriage etc.
On the 1911 census, Joseph and Eleanor Maggs state they havd 7 children altogether and 6 still survive. I have never found all of these, I know Rose , Henry, Helena, Joseph and i think Mary, do you know the names of the other two ? (is mary even right ?)
So who is it you are related from , is she your great grandmother ?

Yes, i know about John Pamplin on the HMS Kitchener ! He was married to my mum's Aunt Rose Conway, Rose remarried after John Pamplins early death , and my mum used to visit her Aunt Rose and Uncle Tom, in Portsmouth, they were a lovely brilliant couple
.I saw a bit of info on the Daniel Maggs that Ken mentioned in here, 1749-1823 born Buckland Somerset and in the same regiment as James Maggs , being discharged in 1788, although if there is a link between these two, given that James Maggs was a soldier by 1796 it is more likely to be his son than grandson ? there is a James Maggs born 1788 in Somerset, but i have yet to link them up, but will of course continue, but haven't got much of a clue with military records.
The last i find of Joseph is in the 1911 census with Eleanor, so where was he living with his daughter after that ?
Please let me know
Thanks
Emma

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Emma,
Yesterday I returned home from being away with family; saw your message and sent a quick response offline.
Thank you for your offer to pursue more information on the family of Kate Eliza Maggs. Your kindness is most appreciated.

Answering one of your questions; after 1911 Joseph Henry Maggs and wife Ellen Mary lived with my grandmother in Kilburn, London and Enfield, Middlesex. I do not have the durations in each location. By 1915 Joseph and Ellen had returned to Westminster.

I have a photograph of your great-great grandparents and four of their children Henry, Nell, Joseph and my grandmother. I do not have one of your great-grandmother Rose.

My mother was a first cousin of Rose Conway and last saw her in the 1920s.

Theodorick

Offline eecs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Theodorick,
That makes your mother cousin to my grandmother as well then, she was a younger sister of Rose Conway, Ellen Elizabeth Mary Conway 1899-1956.
To see the photos would be amazing.
I have heard back from the Kate Eliza Maggs realtive in Australia, she had never heard of any other family, excaept knew Kate's parents were William Maggs and Sarah Winch so is pleased. All she knows is Kate had a daughter who died, then a son , Kate and John (Jack) ran a shop in Avoca Victoria Australia. This lady carries on her tree right up to date on ancestry.com, so i'm having a look at all the" down under" relatives ...... So i'll let you know what is discovered, as i was wondering if she went to Australia with sisters Emily and Mary Ann, who i can't find out any more info on.
Thanks so much
Emma

Offline Theodorick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 03:27 BST (UK) »
Emma
Thank you for the information on Kate Eliza Maggs.
Mary Ann Maggs is in the 1861 census as a domestic servant at age 12 in Queen Square, Westminster. Her mother Sarah Winch when she married gave her address as Queen Square, which was quite close to where the family was living in Westminster. After that date I have no further information on Mary Ann. So she may have emigrated.
Emily stayed in England.
Thanks for all your help
Theodorick