Author Topic: John PRUDHAM 1807 - 1889  (Read 9741 times)

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John PRUDHAM 1807 - 1889
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
A few things found that may indicate this string of posts should relate to Yorkshire North.
1. I too located the death of Tamar PRUDOM in 1865, that being in Yorkshire North
2. Brother Mark is actually a half brother to John, I have discovered.  After a brief stint in Canada with John, he was in the 1841, 1861 and 1871 English Census as Mark PRUDOM the later two in Bransdale which I believe is in North Yorkshire.  Have also tracked a gravestone which I believe is his.  Buried in St Nicholas, Bransdale as Mark PRUDHOM. Still no parentage for the three. 
Tamar was older and was close to John after the death of their mother when he was about 4.  Father remarried and had Mark.
Aitken, Pottinger & Jamieson - Shetland Islands, SCT
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
Pickett - England & PA/CT,USA
and ALL above - Canada

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 April 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
Pardon me for butting in but it was said above that Mark was in Bransdale in the census records.
The census records for 1841, 51, 61 & 71 all show him living in Farndale which is over the hill to the East of Bransdale.

In one of the census records he is said to be a Local Wesleyan Methodist Preacher. If all the family were of this persuasion then they may have been baptised in a Methodist chapel and so may be missed from the IGI.

I cannot find Mark in 1881 so maybe he was over in Canada then. His grave says he died 3 Dec 1885 so he should be somewhere in 1881.

No sign of any Tamar born Bransdale in the census records.

Bryan

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 April 11 03:18 BST (UK) »
Jump right in anytime BryanHogarth.
I missed Mark in the '51 Census.  Perhaps the spelling of his surname was transcribed differently.  I'll have to check Ancestry in the new week at the library.
I am not familiar with the areas in England, so really flying by the seat of my pants when I mention an area there.  I just mention what the records show.
I believe that Mark was in Canada as a young man.  It was said he had "two purposes in coming, the first to preach and second to find a wife.  He failed at the later and was not that good at the former."  So her returned to England.
Other than a death record I can find nothing on Tamar although she is in the family stories.
Thanks for the response.  Anytime.
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
and ALL above - Canada

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 April 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Mark in 1851 is indexed as "Rudom" rather than "Prudom". I had to search for just the name Mark with no surname to find him.

I came across a newspaper report which mentioned a Weslyan meeting whcih had a Mr Prudom from Farndale. That was in 1869. So he was carrying on the Preaching.

Most of the instances of the name Prudom in the NBI are from the Danby area which is in Eskdale. I expect your lot probably came from there. All of these places are in the North Riding of Yorkshire and this is not really the right board. 

Bryan

PS
I was thinking that the Tamar PRUDOM death in the Guisbro District may have been at Danby which is in that registration District.
However I found the burial in the NBIv2

Burial 25 Aug 1865 Tamar PRUDOM age 92, Guisbro, St Nicholas.

That makes her born c. 1772/73 and so, if she never married, could be the girl baptised Thamar PRUDDOM 7 Aug 1778 to Saml. PRUDDOM, Glaisdale, batch C007513.

Hard to believe that she could be a sister of John PRUDOM born about 30 years later but maybe John was son of a different wife.

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 April 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
I was reading up on the local Parishes here

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Kirkbymoorside/index.html

and saw Kirkdale mentioned so wonder if the baptism spotted by Trish earlier may be the very one - though that one seems to have been illegitimate or postumus.

Bryan

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 May 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Don't know of you have seem this baptism for Mark Prudoms 21st March 1813 Kirkbymoorside, mother Hannah Prudoms.

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 May 11 02:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bryan.  Sorry for the late response to your posts.  It's been a busy month.  You are right, Tamar (Thamar) birth in 1772/3 does seem a bit early.  Something will turn up somewhere.

Thanks Val, that baptism for Mark under a spelling I hadn't tried, does seem to fit.  Too bad it didn't include a fathers name.

Thanks again to you both.
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
and ALL above - Canada

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 May 11 03:18 BST (UK) »
There is a Thamar Pruddom baptised 7th August 1778 Glaisdale father  Samuel  Pruddom and a John Pruddom 28th May 1780 father John Pruddom.  Batch C007513.  Don't know if this is any help. 

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline aitkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 May 11 04:47 BST (UK) »
Val, the John Pruddom of 1780 is too early.  We do know that he was born in 1807.
Thamar Pruddom of 1778 was mentioned by "I've Left" earlier on April 9 above.
We do know the Tamar was older than John, but we don't know by how much.
She apparently looked after John when their mother died about 1811, when John was only 4.  So I would guess perhaps she was perhaps at least 12 or 13 at that time to do that.  I would think if she were just over 30 in 1811 as the date above would indicate, she would have been off on her own.
Thanks for looking further.   :)
Fife - Tulliallen, SCT
Allen - Ireland
Prudham - England
and ALL above - Canada